22- Plans

???? ??? POV

My eyes slowly start to open, body stiff and mind racing. The plan carefully started to unfold, but one wrong move could ruin everything. I'm not too worried though, as long as that useless husband of mine doesn't screw up like normal, everything should go according to plan.

As I glance around the room looking for the quietest was to leave, two warm arms wrap around me, pulling me into a loving embrace. A sigh of annoyance is bearly blocked by my lips. I didn't account for... Cuddling...

As I try to wiggle my way out if his grasp, Pat mumbles under his breath, still half asleep. "What'sup?"

That's when a small idea clicks in my mind. A small, sweet smile plays on my face as I mimic Jen's voice. "Nothing my sugar muffin, I'm just getting some water."

With the smallest nod, his arms gently unwrap themselves to let me go. Just like always, he's so carful not to hurt the only person he has left. I tilt my head up, looking into the fading glow of his closed eyes, waiting. After a few minutes, the glow diminishes, signaling Pat is fast asleep.

A smirk starts to replace my smile as I suppress the need to laugh. He really is an idiot! He doesn't think anything it wrong! I slowly climb out of bed, tiptoeing across the floor, and avoiding the squeaky floorboards. Soon I make my way to a nearby window, silently unlocking it and pushing it open. A cold gust of wind causes me to shiver, and I realize Jen is dressed in simple, thin, pink pajamas.

With a small sigh, I except my chilly fate, and jump outside. I can't change anything, for now at least. Once I'm in full control... Oh that will be so much fun.

I glance back inside to close the window and notice something... Odd. Of course the wind I felt also hit Pat, but I didn't expect him to be so... Desperate. He almost instinctually reached out where Jen normally sleeps, before shrinking back and simply cuddling a pillow. So desperate for any physical contact, like a little puppy wanting to be pet.

How utterly miserable. I almost feel sorry for him.

The window quickly snaps shut with the flick of my wrist. I try to jog along the path to save time, only to stumble a bit. God he was rough. With shaky knees, I walk through the cold grass and dirt into the forest. Trees tower over me, pitch black in the night. With no moon illuminating the night, the only thing I can rely on is my memory of the path.

As I suddenly feel smooth and less undisturbed earth beneath me, a small smile creeps on my face. Found it. With a small hum, I skip my way down the path, strength finding its way through my body as I keep going twords a dark magic.

Eventually, I'm sprinting down the path, weaving my way through rocks and little holes from memory. When suddenly, a large, dark creature jumps in front of me, blocking my path enough for me to ram into it at full force.

With the breath knocked out of me and my back on the ground, I can bearly make out the figure above me. Sharp claws unsheathe from large lion paws on either side of me, curling into the dirt. A long scorpion tail arches threateningly, the barb dripping venom. Six black eyes glare at me in pure hatred, and I notice the back leg has a old scar similar to a stab wound.

It's the manticore we fought a few months ago.

The alpha male roars in my face, little bits of saliva landing on my cheeks. I simply stare up at him and smile, tilting my head. "Why, this is quite the position." My hand wipes off the spit, flicking it to the ground. "But you ruined the mood. Say it don't spray it kitten."

With a growl, the manticore lifts it lifts paw, extending its claws even further before swiping. I tuck in my legs and head, rolling out from under him before jumping up. He reacts quicker then expected, jabbing his tail twords my chest for a fatal blow.