6- Accident

Pat POV

I slowly walk to the kitchen, trying to process what happened as I pour water in the cup. Blood, what he said, what is going on. This doesn't make any sense. We couldn't have both gone crazy, right? I look down into the cup, the water reflecting,

Two
Red
Eyes

Looking up at me with a crooked grin, I see the thing in my nightmares in my own reflection.

Dropping the glass in shock, it shatters upon hitting the ground. Jen comes running in hearing the glass break. "Pat, are you sure you're okay?" I barely hear her voice, unable to respond. I simply narrow my eyes, seeing a shape form on the ground. A broken heart. When I blink, it's gone. "Pat!" I turn and realize she's directly behind me. "Can you not get yourself a glass of water now?"

I rub my eyes, talking slowly. "I think, I'm still half-asleep."

Jen sighs then says, "You know what, I'm just going to get the broom and clean this up." I look away, embarrassed as she walks to the closet. Then back away from the broken glass until my back is up against the edge of the counter. Unable to think properly, I look around and see a set of kitchen knifes.

Yes, that will do nicely.
What?!
Good luck.

I start hyperventilating again. No, no no no, these are just dreams! This isn't real, he isn't real. None of this is-

"Could you move for a second?" I look up and see Jen in front of me. I didn't even realize she was there. "There's a piece of glass behind you." I slowly nod and step to the left. She sweeps the piece up and puts the rest in the trash. She then turns to me, making eye contact.

I freeze. That's not... Her eyes, which are normally an emerald green, are instead a deep, dark red. Whoever this person is, it isn't Jen.

I narrow my eyes. "Who are you?"

"What?" The person responds, seeming confused. Even her voice is different, scratchy and a little deeper. "What are you talking abo-"

"Don't you lie to me!" I cut the girl off, "What did you do with Jen?"

The person looks at me worriedly, "Are you okay?" She takes a step near me, holding up three fingers, "How how many fingers am I holding up?"

I push her hand away, "Stay away from me." I growl, "I'm not going to ask again, what did you do with my wife?"

"Pat?" The women takes another step closer, "I'm right here? What's wrong with you?"

"I SAID STAY AWAY!" I hit the girl in a panic, hard. She stumbles back, landing on the ground. Her hair coves her face. "Who are you!" I scream.

A bruise starts to form on her arm. As the girl looks up at me, I see that her eyes are green. I tilt me head in confusion. But, her eyes were just red.

The girl starts to cry, her voice soft and light, "Why? Why would you- you wouldn't- you'd never..."

A thought crosses my mind. That is Jen. Then who did I see? Wait... My eyes widen and I cover my mouth, I... hurt her.

"I-I. Oh, Stars. Jen, wait! I- I didn't mean to, I would never-" I try to help her up, but Jen backs away from me. Her eyes full of fear as she sobs. "Please, don't look at me like that..." I cover my face with my hands, sinking down to the floor. I'm not a monster. I'm not a monster. I'm not-

"P-Pat?" I hear Jen whisper and jolt my head up for any chance to explain, "W-Why did you..." I look at the bruise on her arm and my heart starts to break.

"Jen, please, listen. You didn't look like yourself, I mean, I saw something that wasn't you. I swear I didn't mean to hurt you! Please, don't know what came over me!" My breathing quickens, "I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

Jen POV

I slowly start inching closer to Pat, putting one arm around him. He looks at me in tears, "What is wrong with me?" He whispers, voice shaking. "You know I didn't mean to hurt you right?"

I nod my head slowly and lean against him, my arm still in pain. I feel him trembling, the only reason I'm not is because I'm still in shock. "I'm-m trying to f-forgive-e you...." I speak between sobs, unable to talk properly.

"I don't deserve it... How are you able to- I I don't get it..."

"I just.... who did you see?"

Pat stares at me, "I don't know but, your eyes were red..."

I shake my head. Has he just, finally cracked? I don't want to say that. I don't even want to think that but... I have to be here for him. "...It'll all be okay, I promise."

He looks away. "Don't make promises you can't keep." Pat mutters.

"I'm not." I say firmly. "This is probably just like those first two months when you stayed at the castle. Remember, you had nightmares about Necrosis, and kept seeing him."

"This is different! I never hurt you! I was never bullied in my own head! Those were memories, these are... are... I don't know what to call it." Pat says, seeming distant. "Besides, you had those nightmares too...."

I swallow, hard. This isn't working. "Maybe you just need time, or it's a sign!"

"Maybe," He sighs.

I decide to change the subject. Looking at the clock, the time reads 8:05. "If you want, I can cook dinner tonight."

"I'm not hungry." Pat mutters.
___________________ _ _ _ _ _ _ .....