20- Aftershock

Jen POV

Pat gives us a weak thumbs up as he shakingly stands to his feet. Scarlett then levitates the bucket over to us, peering to get a better look at the strange thing inside.

"Dark Magic in its purest form..." Scarlett mutters under her breath. "That's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one."

It swirls and glimmers in the reflection of nearby light, pulsing like it's a living being taking its last breaths. Calling out in agony... Calling... Calling...

Esaeler em. Esaeler em refinnej. Tes em eerf.

"I said don't touch that!" Scarlett suddenly hisses, holding me back from the bucket. I snap out of my thoughts and look up at her as she narrows her eyes.

I pull away and look down, backing away from the bucket. "Sorry."

Scarlett shakes her head and points to Pat. "How about you just help him."

I nod and back away even further, eventually ending up sitting next to him on the edge of the bed. He seems to still be in a daze, refusing to look up. I tap his shoulder and he turns to look at me. However, we sit in silence for about a minute before actually talking.

"What happened?" Pat murmurs, tilting his head when he sees the mark on my chest and the cut in my arm that scabbed over. I pause, biting my lower lip and looking down.

" Y-You.... Um-"

"I did that didn't I?" He guesses.

I look at Pat sharply, about to deny the fact that it was truly him, but he cuts me off.

"It's fine, I get it." He sighs, his eyes dull and dark. "I'm sorry..."

I blink a few times before turning to Scarlett, who is pouring the liquid into an empty potion bottle. I call out her name, causing her to flinch and nearly spill the Dark Magic on the ground. She flashes a glare at me, closing the potion bottle and placing it in her backpack. "What?"

"What are you doing with the potion? Shouldn't we bury it or something?"

Scarlett shrugs, putting on her backpack and cleaning up. "I can't just bury it, it'll seep into the ground. So the best thing to do is to lock it under a protection spell on my house where I can keep an eye on it."

I nod as Scarlett opens the window to leave, spreading her wings.

"Wait!"

"Mhm?" She hums softly, but gives me a look of "I'm tired, make the quick or I might have to snap your neck."

"Is all of this... Over?"

She slightly smiles, nodding in satisfaction. "From what I can sense, yep. You might have some post-cure nightmares, but nothing like before. Call me if you need anything." Scarlett flies out the window as usual, avoiding the front door.

As soon as she's gone, I grab Pat by the shirt collar and pull him into a strong kiss, scooting into his lap and placing one arm around him tightly, pushing his back on the bed. Pat flinches in surprise, then slowly closes his eyes and gently wraps his arms around my back, deepening the kiss. I pull away for a stupid thing we need called "air," then look down at him, speaking softly and firmly. "I love you. Don't you ever forget that again!"

Pat blinks a few times, still partially in shock, then tilts his head to the side and smiles, his eyes now glowing a lot brighter. He sits up to my level, and pulls me into a hug, nuzzling the crook of my neck. "Never again. I promise."

I sigh in relief, hugging him back. I spot Pat's smirk in the corner of my eye, and the next thing I know is he's straddling over me with my back on the matress. Pat bends down and kisses me, licking my bottom lip for permission. I playfully refuse his request, barely suppressing a small giggle.

Pat pulls away a few inches, letting out a huff and pouting. "Fine then." He then leans forward, sliding his hands down near my hips with a twinkle in his eyes. Before reacting normally, I end up bursting out in laughter due to Pat tickling me right in my weak spot. He quickly takes advantage and kisses me again, this time entering my mouth.

Dang it, did I have marry someone so clever?

I smile mid-kiss, closing my eyes and wrapping my arms around his neck, letting him explore me for probably the five millionth time. After a while, he pulls away to breathe and lays down next to me.

"Jen?"

"Mhm?"

"I was... thinking..."

I turn to my side to face him, only to find his expression nervous and thoughtful. "About?" I ask quietly.

"Well," he sighs, "remember when we were dating and you... Um..." Pat stares at me, searching my eyes before closing his own and taking a breath. "You wanted me to see someone about what was happening?"

I tilt my head and nod. "Yeah... You always said that people would just think you're insane or wouldn't actually help you."

Pat sighs before opening his eyes again. "Well all of this, it's kinda helped me realize that... I really do need it. I may have gotten better but it isn't enough."

"I don't understand, I thought you didn't-"

"I know what I said back then, but I'm taking it back now alright."

I narrow my eyes, wanting to make sure we're thinking if the same thing. "So you want help?"

"Jen..." Pat looks at me with soft, earnest eyes. "I am willing to go to therapy." 

Pat POV

Jen stares at me for a moment, then a minute, then a few more, not saying anything. So much so I start to get nervous. Did I say something wrong? Is it too late by now? Does it not matter anymore? I don't know how these things are supposed to happen!

Finally, Jen smiles. Tears line her eyes and she hugs me tightly. "Thank you! I've been so worried for so long and.... At least now someone who knows what they're doing can help you."

I flinch, pausing for a moment before hugging her back. "So... it's okay?"

Jen somehow half laughs and is half serious. "Of course it is! Why wouldn't it be?" She pulls away and quickly pecks me on the lips. "We'll need to set up an appointment before we get dragged off into another emotional roller coaster."

I laugh and brush a few strands of hair out of her face. "Alright alright, but let's just get some sleep first. I'm looking forward to having no nightmares."

A/N: Let this be a lesson. Go. To. Therapy. *Cough* *cough* Batman *cough* *cough*

The End

?