Pt. 8 - Quiet conversation

When the two sides woke, still curled into each other, the sky outside the window was dark, the moon shining brightly in the room. 

Virgil raised himself on one arm, wiping at his damp eyes.  Patton sat up as well, putting his arm around the youngest, and just holding him.

The anxious trait let himself be held by the father, relaxing in his embrace, calming him down.

Eventually, they pulled away, Virgil still holding a blanket to his chest, and just sat with silence.

Then Virgil whispered, "I'm sorry."

"What?  Virgil, you have nothing to be sorry about.  Honestly, it's unfair that you were outed to me!" Patton exclaimed, doing a pretty convincing stage whisper.

"So.... you aren't upset?" Virgil asked, a small smile dawning on his face.

"Of course not Virge!  Why would I be upset? Our family is already plenty unique, and this doesn't change anything.  Other than more cuddle parties of course!" Patton said, opening his arms for a hug from the anxious boy.

Virgil accepted, throwing his arms around Patton, not usually one for sentiment, but it was an emotional day.

After pulling away, Patton grabbed a few more blankets, a shirt for Virgil to sleep in, and a few stuffies to cuddle.

He put the stuff down for Virgil, and ran to get him a cup of water as well. 

When he left the room, he was met with the other two sides who had been entirely forgotten in the rush of the afternoon, asleep in the hallway.  He smiled and made a mental note to wake the two up later, and get them into their own beds, and with that thought, he ran to get the boy a glass of water.

When he came back into the room with the glass of water, he found that Virgil had put on the shirt, and it was hanging loosely off one of his shoulders.  Patton gave him the water, and he dank it quickly.

Then, Patton gave him a kiss on the forehead, and made to leave.

As he was about to close the door behind him, he heard the quiet words from Virgil.

"Patton?"

"Yes kiddo?" He whispered, not wishing to startle the sleepy boy.

"Can... can you do something for me?"

"Anything." He responded immediately.

"Don't tell Roman..." he said, Patton barely being able to make out his words, before Virgil fell asleep.

Patton stilled for a moment, before closing the door.  He stood behind the door for a few minutes, before waking Logan and sending him back to his room, with the promise of explaining later.

Then he went to Roman, seeing him slumped against the wall, sound asleep.  He squatted down next to him, hearing his steady breath.  He smiled, and stayed there a moment. 

Then, he put a hand on his shoulder, and shook him slightly.  The fanciful one awoke and rubbed at his eyes, and didn't say anything, only letting himself be led away by the fatherly side. 

When they got to his room, Roman asked the question.

"What happened?  Is Virgil alright?"

Patton paused, looking at his worried expression.

He never really was good at lying, but he could try for Virgil, right?

"Well kiddo, he's doing better now." Patton responded hesitantly.

"Then let's go see him!  I want to make sure he's all better." Roman said, his true child coming out.

"We can't, not now anyways,  he's sleeping, and he's gonna need lots of rest before you can see him." Patton said calmly, standing in front of Roman who was trying to run out the door.

"Ughh, fine.  What really happened anyways?  That didn't seem like a standard panic attack." Roman questioned, flopping down on his bed in frustration.

Patton froze.  He had hoped to avoid this topic entirely and think of something in the morning. 

"Well... the car was a little too warm, and he'd been in there a bit too long.  He was overheated and really felt like he was gonna throw up.  You did just fine holding him, Roman." Patton said, smiling at the fanciful one.

"Now, you're gonna go to sleep and you can see Virgil in the morning.  And I'll make a good breakfast for the four of us, and Logan will be there, and we'll sit down and eat together, okay?" Patton said, slowly walking towards the door.

"Mhmm, okay Patton.  G'night." Roman said, yawning and laying down.

"Good night." Patting whispered, and closed the door to the room.

He sighed and walked to his own room, putting out the lights and laying down.

Taking off his glasses carefully, he put them on the bedside table of the cozy room and  stretched out on the bed.  He closed his eyes, and immediately fell into a deep sleep.

It was a quiet night, Patton harboring a secret that Virgil never wanted to tell anyone.

And the quiet night was truly the calm before the storm, when the other three sides awoke in the morning to Virgil's screams.