Chapter One Hundred and One

Dust shimmered in the light as silence filled our ears. I breathed in, enjoying the scent of old books prickling my nose in the library. Daphne, Faye and I sat in the very back corner of the treasure trove attempting to study and plow through homework. One hour in and I was beginning to believe I could have gone without their company as Faye had the attention span of a restless Niffler and Daphne questioned everything she came across.

Faye scratched her quill against her chin as she deliberated over the parchment before her. Just under her breath she began reading her words out loud.

"Faye," I warned, feeling irritated I couldn't concentrate.

"Sorry," she blushed and we all returned to our reading.

A good five minutes of silence flew by until Faye started tapping one of her emerald coated nails against the wooden surface of our table.

"Faye," I repeated.

"Oh," she giggled, "didn't even realise."

I forced a closed-mouth smile at her and then delved back into my Charm's text. She let out a lengthy sigh and did the same.

Uninterrupted study continued for another three minutes until Faye started humming again, her hand twirling her ponytail into scrolls as she read her book. I cleared my throat, hoping to signal to her she was annoying again, but she didn't realise. I gave up, putting my book back down to stare blankly at her until she would notice and stop.

To my regret, she didn't. In fact her humming intensified into lulling and her knee started bouncing, effectively knocking against our table.

"Faye!" I eventually snapped, feeling a sharp heat against my chest again.

She jumped, as did a few others around us in the quiet library, and stared at me with wide blue eyes - a doe in headlights.

I exhaled to relax myself. "Can you please be quiet?"

She smiled warmly. "Sorry Mel," she chimed and I feigned another satisfied smile before we both returned to our studying.

Thankfully it wasn't long until Faye couldn't take the boring studying anymore and found herself distracted by a seventh year Ravenclaw in the distance. She sighed, elbow on desk and head in hand, admiring the muscular student.

"He's amazing, isn't he?" She dreamily spoke.

I followed her line of sight to see him sorting through books in the distance. "I guess?" I shrugged unsure.

"No surprise seeing a Ravenclaw in the library," Daphne snorted.

"We're in the library too," I pointed out to receive an eye roll from the superior blonde.

"Do you think he would talk to me?" Faye asked, her eyes fixated on his movements down the aisle.

"I don't even know who he is, Faye," I admitted.

She smacked me on the arm, offended I didn't know the name of her beau. "That's Connor Clark!" She whispered harshly.

"Oh right," I nodded, still unaware and rubbed my arm, "Clark."

"I'm going to go introduce myself," she said, running a hand through her light hair to prepare herself.

"You should," I encouraged sweetly, knowing it would rid her from our study session.

Daphne giggled, knowing full well what I was up too. "Yeah Faye, no time like the present."

Faye beamed at the both of us. With the swish of her wand, her books closed and stacked themselves on the table. Daphne and I watched her bounce over to Clark who was nose deep in a thick novel.