Chapter Twenty Two

Daphne laid dreamily on her bed. It was a Hogsmeade weekend and we had planned with Payton and Faye to go shopping. She rolled over with a wistful smile. "Who are you going to take to the ball?"

I was sat on my bed, Mia by my side and a Viveka Sjöström magazine in my hand, viewing different expensive shoes. I rolled my shoulders carelessly. "Hopefully Cedric if he isn't too embarrassed to go with a fourth year."

"Are you going to ask him or wait for him to ask you?"

"Hopefully he will ask me," I smiled, tearing my eyes away from my magazine. "I don't mind asking him though."

"I hope Theodore asks me." She said as she rolled onto her back, staring at her canopy roof.

"Why wouldn't he, you're beautiful." I said supportively.

"Well," an obnoxious voice sounded from behind curtains. I sighed, I had forgotten she was here. "I for one will be waiting for Draco to ask me."

I snorted, glad I was unable to see the self-righteous look probably on her face.

"I already have my dress picked out," she said as she stepped out from behind her curtains and pranced between Daphne and I. "Vucana silk," she tossed her head up and flung her short bob with brashness. "Draco will have to go with me when he hears."

"How could he resist?" I asked sarcastically, but she didn't pick up on it and smiled at me.

"I know, right!" She beamed.

"So is the dress Lydia sent you for the Yule Ball?" Daphne asked.

"I guess so," I said and revealed the box beneath my bed. She jumped up and walked over to see. Pansy also leaned in to stick her big nose in it.

"Camouflaged it?" Daphne perked one of her perfect eyebrows.

"You never know, Daph." I said whilst pulling the blue dress out of the box to show her.

"Especially in this rotten place," Pansy said with repugnance.

Daphne gasped, "it's beautiful, Mel!" And then clapped her hands together giddily. "I can't wait to get mine!"

"I guess it will make you look a little better," Pansy reasoned apathetically. It was the closest thing to a compliment I would get from her.

After a few moments of girlish chatter, Payton and Faye presented themselves at our door, ready to go to Hogsmeade. To my discredit, Pansy ended up joining us too and the walk there consisted of her boasting about her expensive and beautiful ensemble for the Yule Ball. We were stopped twice by potential dates asking us to the Yule Ball. Faye fawned over the attention, but dizzily declined on all our behalf.

Ever since the Yule Ball was announced, the whole ambience within the castle had changed. Boys were looking at girls like they were prizes. Eyeing which one they wanted to have on their arm. There was a new division between the sexes. As much as girls gushed over the attention they were receiving, I despised it. The embarrassment, the sweaty palms and the socially awkward way I had to reject them, it was too much for me to handle. Faye had said I would be more desirable because I was in the Triwizard Tournament. It just made me feel like a bigger target in this game of cat and mouse. There was only one guy I was interested in, one man I had my eye on; Mr. Diggory.

But it was almost as if he had vanished from sight. Whenever I did catch him, he was with his Hufflepuff herd and who would have thought Hufflepuff's could be so intimidating? Our communication had been limited down to brief eye contact and smiles across the hall.

As we exited one of the dress shops Daphne had dragged us into, Harry, Hermione and Ron were walking by, bags full of Honeydukes treats in their hands. Pansy made a disgusted sound as she noticed Hermione and Ron.