Chapter Sixteen

It felt like an egg had been cracked over my head, running all over me with drips slithering down my skin. The first time I felt the sensation it made my body shudder uncontrollably. It was also the first time I had seen Snape do something remotely close to a smile with his lips. Since then I had practiced it over the remaining week before the first task and had developed a pretty good grasp at the Disillusionment Charm.

Snape had explained how I wouldn't be able to hold it for long until I truly mastered the spell. For now it required too much concentration, but it was a handy skill to have up my sleeve if I needed to do some serious evasion during the first task. I had sharpened some other water based spells and was waking up on the day feeling rather ready. Unsurprisingly, I had woken up early on the day, forced to lay there for an hour or so until it was a reasonable hour to walk the castle. Mia was resting on my chest in a comforting way. It felt good to have her close to my heart and steadying the rhythm.

Daphne started stirring in her bed to my right. I pulled back my curtain to see her getting up and swung my feet off the bed.

"Oh, did I wake you?"

"Not at all," I said.

"How are you feeling?" She asked.

"Nervous, but not as bad as I expected."

We both started to get ready for the day. I pulled out the black and green robes I had been given to wear for the first task and stretched them on. They were rather loose around the waist so with the use of some magic, Daphne successfully made them tighter. I wasn't going to risk tripping over my own clothes in the battle. Taylor was spelled out on the back in green big letters and the Hogwarts crest was on my left breast.

"What's the hood for?" Daphne said as she tied my hair into a high ponytail.

"Protection, maybe." Though knowing what I was walking into, these robes would burn to a crisp easily. I gave Mia a cuddle before exiting the dorm with Daphne and walked to the Great Hall for breakfast. The others were already seated and excitedly talking about the first task.

"They have completely renovated the Quidditch pitch," Blaise said as he ate his egg omelet. "I am so excited."

I sat down across from him in a spot between Daphne and Nott. Malfoy was diagonal from me and was unusually quiet for once. He hadn't mentioned anything to do with the night I had cried my heart out to my relief. It made me question if it had even happened, but I was more than glad to move past it and pretend it hadn't.

"Written out your will yet, Taylor?" Pansy joked with a sly smile festering on her face.

"So supportive," sarcasm was evident in my tone.

"You are going to do great!" Faye beamed beside her. She wasn't in uniform, like everyone, but donned green colour's in support of me which I found adorable. Quite a few of the Slytherin's had the same idea in fact and the principle gave me a good boost of courage. I eyed the food displayed on the table, but I had no appetite and in fear of it coming back up, I decided to skip breakfast. Instead I opted for a glass of orange juice and sipped it quietly while everyone raved about the day to come.

"I wonder if you will last longer than Potter today," Malfoy jeered as he ate his toast. "Father believes he won't last longer than five minutes."

"As always, Mr. Malfoy chooses to display his utmost fantastic positive attitude." I commentated.

"Think you're ready then?" He huffed.

"As ready as I will ever be." I said.

"We'll see soon I guess." His teeth tore at his toast and then chewed with a tense jaw, steel eyes glaring into the distance.

"We'll be in the stands cheering you on," Payton said with a smile. "Try get some food down before you go. You need the energy."

"I can't," I shook my head. "I'm sick with nerves."

"Do you have any clue what the first task will be?" Blaise asked. "Looks like a battle arena out there."

"Yeah..." I thought. "You will be in for a good show."

"Please be safe," Daphne said with worry whilst placing a hand on my shoulder. "I would like my best friend back alive."

Harry had started walking over to my spot at Slytherin's table. His rigid shoulders showed he was uncomfortable coming to this side of the Hall and diverted his eyes everywhere to avoid eye contact with some of my house mates. He was also wearing his Champion robes, similar to mine except red and a bit bigger with the name Potter on the back. He actually appeared quite attractive in the illustrious outfit and I was excited to see how Cedric would look in his.

"Mel," he said as he reached me.

"What are you doing here, Potter?" Malfoy barked.

"Potter stinks!" Goyle yelled right after and Crabbe cackled besides him.

"Might want to give your Gryffindor pals one last hug this morning, Potter." Blaise said wickedly with his signature smirk. "You'll find it might be your last one."

"Thanks," he said, used to the jibes and just wanting to move on to the task at hand. "Mel, are you ready?"

"No, but let's go." I said as I stood up. I ruffled Payton's ash-brown hair and half-hugged Faye. Daphne stood up to embrace me and gave my taut body a good squeeze.

"Be brave," she whispered into my ear.

We pulled away and I looked at the others in my group at the table. Malfoy was expressionless as he watched the scene before him. He had been strangely distant all morning. What did he even have to worry about? He wasn't about to walk into a dragon-fested arena and fight for his life. Blaise on the other hand gave me a wink, his smirk still present on his face and Nott shot me a small smile. I returned it before following Harry out to our first task.