Chapter Thirty

The fanfare made my heart do a flip. As Dean and I entered the room with the other Champions, our arms linked tightly. The students had all gathered around the perimeter and some down the walkway, clapping along in admiration. I felt rather awkward at the undeserved applause. Unlike the other Champions, Harry and I were unfairly submitted for reasons we still didn't know.

We were directed to the Champions table where Dean followed the manners of the other men and pulled out my chair for me. I nodded curtly and gracefully sat down. Once again, I found myself trying to one-up Fleur in my formalities. I was seated beside Parvati - whose name I remembered after hearing Harry mutter - and Harry. I watched as Harry engaged in conversation with one of the older Weasley's and at that second, I noticed Mr. Crouch was absent tonight.

Glittering gold plates and fine cutlery was served on our tables, with a menu laying on top. "There are no waiters?" Dean questioned as he picked up the menu with a look of uncertainty.

I smiled to myself. Dean's wizard father had died when he was young, so it was to my understanding that he was raised in the Muggle world, unaccustomed to the wizarding society and its ways of dining. "Let me show you," I said whilst patting his wrist in assurance. A quick skim of the menu and I knew what I wanted, I placed the parchment down and announced. "Roast duck!"

A crispy skin, honey glazed roasted duck then appeared on my plate. Dean's eyes shone, "I'll never not be surprised by what we can do." He said in awe.

Harry was also looking at me excitedly, having the same revelation. Everyone was soon digging into their meals and enjoying chatter. Fleur kept flaunting about the Palace of Beauxbatons and I was very intrigued by some of the things she was saying. It sounded like an exquisite palace, something plucked out of the mind of Faye Harper. It was a struggle to keep up with her conversation, her French accent so thick and chopping through English words with her funny pronunciation. I found myself staring at her empty eyed with parted lips trying to pretend I understood.

Hermione spent most of her meal teaching Krum how to properly pronounce her name, to my great amusement. "Her-my-oh-nee," she sounded out.

"Herm-own-ninny." He said.

Harry and I shared a smile. Dean fretfully pulled at his collar and swallowed hard as he glanced at the dance floor behind us. "Can't say I am as excited about the Champions dance as I am to be going with a Champion." A high-pitched laugh followed.

I smiled over at him after scraping the last few bits of my dinner into my mouth. To him, right here, I wasn't known as the Heir of Slytherin or some dark twisted offspring of him. I was a Triwizard Champion. I was good. "I am not looking forward to it either, everyone is going to be watching."

"Are you a good dancer?" I asked.

"Apart from our one lesson after Transfiguration the other week... I haven't danced before." A forced smile lit up on his face, his perfect teeth tightly pressed together.

I tried to keep the concern and shock off my face, looking at him deadpanned. "You have never danced before?" I repeated slowly, my voice higher than usual. "And how did you find it? The practice?"

"Well Seamus and I were just messing around for most of it," he shrugged.

My eyes travelled back to the floor and then to the other Champions around me, especially Fleur. She looked gorgeous tonight in her crystal floral design, she was going to be the highlight of the dance with her Beauxbaton grace, perhaps everyone would watch her and not notice Dean stamping on my toes.

"I am guessing you're a good dancer?" Dean asked, clanging his fork against his ceramic plate, making me jump a tad.

"I would not say good, but I know how too." I smiled and noticed the unease in his lines. "Don't worry," I placed a hand on his shoulder reassuringly, "I can try lead." Even though it was unheard of, the male always led the dance.