Chapter Ninety One

I woke up on the floor I had been sitting on for hours. Camille stood over me, nudging me awake and frowning.

"You have a splendid king-size bed and you sleep on the floor?"

I sat up, stretching my back and rubbing my head. It seemed I eventually fell asleep in my cheerless meditation. I attempted to run my fingers through my hair, only to be stumped by a collection of knots. Camille sighed and ran a hand through her own bouncy curls.

"Up you get, we need to get you ready for a meeting." She waved her hand upwards, signalling me to stand.

I pushed myself to my feet and followed her gestures to the elaborate vanity at the far end of the room. My eyes couldn't help but stare at the wand in her hand.

"You said you would give me my wand." I grumbled as I sat down in front of the mirror. I was in a worse state than I had ever seen before. Staring back at me wasn't even Grimmauld Place Melody Taylor, it was a Melody Taylor who had been kidnapped and battered - both mentally and physically. My skin was so ghost white that it weighed as green while deep black circles hung under my lifeless brown eyes. My hair, greasy and knotty and there was a small spot of dried blood below my nose.

"I will," she said as she positioned herself behind me. "Soon."

"You said soon yesterday." I groused.

"That was actually two days ago." She corrected as she studied my face in the mirror with an inquisitive curl to her brow.

"Two days," I quietly repeated to myself.

Camille twirled her wand above my head and my hair redeveloped into a silkier and straight nature. It was a spell Lydia often used on me before tying my hair into convoluted braids for dinner. With a tap of her wand on the vanity surface, makeup magically flew into the air before applying itself onto my skin. I blinked rapidly as soft brushes dusted powders onto me and lipsticks swathed over my chapped lips. Camille walked to the wardrobe and pulled out a coat hanger with a full outfit hanging off it.

It resembled something Lydia made me wear for pureblood outings. It was a black high neck dress, reasonably a-line and slim fitting, but what struck me was the incredibly long bell sleeves. Out fluttered delicate material that billowed in the air. Tied overtop the dark dress was an elegant cape, thin and embellished on the hems with silver thread. I reached out to feel the expensive fabric, almost annoyed at how easily enchanted I was by the luxury of the material. All year I'd been wearing middle-tier clothes that Snape generically bought in the lead up for my school preparation. I did get moments of bliss in Daphne's quality clothing, but this dress and cape was another level that even Lydia didn't provide. Camille smirked as she watched me feel the dress.

"You should get dressed, Miss Melody." She suggested and the makeup tools all fell away.

I turned back at my reflection and smiled. I was feeling beautiful once more. My desolated features masked by the magic of makeup. Camille nodded her head and left so I could dress myself in the new robes. They felt even more amazing on my skin and for a moment I was feeling like a normal teenage girl. For a moment, that was. Soon after my door swung open and in came the two Death Eater's I had met the day before.

"What meeting is this?" I asked.

"You will see." One of the men said in monotone.

The other rounded around the room and grabbed my arm roughly. I didn't bother fighting against him, despite the little sleep I had, I was still exhausted and with no wand I deemed myself hopeless.

The steady beat of my heart surprised me. I was assuming to meet Voldemort again yet there was no quaking fear running through my body as there usually was. Perhaps I'd surrendered my life or perhaps I felt safe enough he assured not to kill me. He needed me.