Chapter Eighty

The next few weeks at Hogwarts were all a blur and we were soon met with the pitter patter of rain. A residential mist smothered the greens of the grass as the sky remained a stony grey. Though it wasn't cold, it was delightfully warm when the sun graced us its presence. Today was no exception with the confusing weather as Faye and I strolled through Hogsmeade.

"I just can't figure out what to wear with such unpredictable weather," Faye complained as she tugged her thick woolen coat off. "One moment I am freezing and the next I am sweating!"

"You look fine either way," I said flatly.

It was that wonderful day of the year where everyone gifted each other chocolates and flowers to celebrate the beauty of love. Valentine's Day. So naturally everyone spent the day with their significant other, Payton with Pukey and Daphne with Nott; hence why I had to put up with Faye for a full day of her non-stop squabbling. Though it surprised me she was dateless, after all she was the hopeless romantic of our little quartette.

The topic of weather and fashion carried us all the way through the cobblestone paths as we ventured past busy crowds. I felt a consummate social pressure from every retailer who adorned their windows with hearts or sent cupids in the air to shower us with rose petals. I sneezed as one threw a handful of them at my face for the second time that day, clearly I was not in the Valentine's spirit. On the contrary, Faye was oozing with squeals as she accepted flowers from the cupids.

Love makes us weak.

Malfoy and I had been strangely distant since that conversation weeks ago on patrol. Since then our time consisted of awkward and uninteresting small talk. Around others he barely acknowledged me, neither bullying or being nice to me. At first I was grateful for the lack of communication, but then I was starting to miss the former ground we stood on. It almost felt lonely. Almost.

I resisted the temptation to follow any of his previous advances, knowing full well the danger that would be at the end of that path. Though my eyes had a mind of their own, straying to him during classes or glued to him during Quidditch matches. I had always believed Malfoy to be handsome, the same way I believed Blaise was handsome, but something about Malfoy was becoming more than just handsome. So far I had convinced myself I was being greedy; like a spoilt baby who lost a teddy.

"Want to get a chai?" Faye asked as we embarked down the cafe strip.

"I could do with a green tea," I admitted as my eyes rested on Madam Puddifoots.

Like everywhere today, the tea shop was filled with love lust couples locking lips. Faye shared a groan with me as she was also despising the holiday as a single lady. There was one couple, however; that stood out to my eyes. Harry Potter and Cho Chang in the corner engaged in what looked like an awkward meeting. Something odd froze in me and I had a hard time tearing my eyes off of them.

"Potter and Chang?" Faye questioned as we lined up.

"Looks like it." I said quietly, finally returning my sight to the frilly pink bows decorating the front of house.

"What can I get ya?" The barista asked, she also seemed worn out from the Valentine's shenanigans.

"Two chai's," I asked.

She waved her wand and the tea's magically began brewing themselves. My eyes drifted back to Harry and Cho who were now laughing.

"Are you jealous?" Faye asked me.

I made a face, "of Chang? Never."

"You seem to have the same taste in men."

My insides were glacial at this point. The subtle mention of Cedric was enough to hurt still. "Harry and I aren't like that at all," I said, trying to suppress the splitting of my heart.