Chapter Sixty Eight

I don't know how I would get through life sometimes without the support of my friends. Daphne had spent the whole afternoon comforting me until I finally recovered from the panic attack. Afterwards, Faye and Payton had taken desserts from dinner - which I did not attend - and carried them to our dorm for snacking. I dragged my finger over the fluffy whipped cream on top of my coconut ice cream and popped it between my plump lips.

"So good," Daphne mumbled as she stuffed her face with candied fruit across from me.

We all hummed in agreement as we continued eating.

"Feeling better?" Faye smiled to me.

"Much better, thank you girls." I grinned to them.

"You definitely look better," Daphne commented. "You were so white, I thought you were going to be sick."

"Same," I laughed, finding humour once again.

"Okay, I think I have eaten enough to soak." Faye finally announced, moving her plate off her lap and dusting her skirt.

"Soak?" I asked, taking another bite of my dessert.

"Soak the alcohol," she grinned and walked into our bathroom to admire herself in the mirror.

Right, I had forgotten all about the welcoming back party. Daphne also decided to get ready, crawling into her own bed and drawing the curtains with her wand. I stared down at my snowflakey food.

"I don't think I'll come down." I announced.

"What!" Faye's voice echoed from the bathroom.

Daphne's head popped out of her curtains. "Yes you are! If anyone needs to relax, it's you!"

I sighed, "Daph I really don't feel like it after today."

In short, it had been the worst first day back at school ever. Everyone thought I was going mad. The whole ordeal with Seamus still upset me. Malfoy had humiliated me in front of half the Slytherin's in Potions and irritated me all Divination. Not to mention Pukey trying to get under my skirt at lunch and last but certainly not least, Harry's tantrum in D.A.D.A had been the icing on the cake. Not one hour went by where I wasn't traumatized by something. No, going to this party full of alcohol coupled with my sour mood was a recipe for disaster.

"Mel," Payton whined as she threw an arm around my shoulders, "if you're worried someone is going to tease you about what happened in Umbridge's class, we'll sock them!"

"You're going to have to face everyone at some point, why not come out now while they're in good moods." Faye explained as she left the bathroom.

"Yes, brilliant idea, Faye. Why not go down there while everyone's drunk and merry, ready to have some fun with me." I snapped.

Her bunny-like nose scrunched as she frowned at my tone. "I'll let that go because I know you had a shit day."

Hearing Faye curse felt unnatural to me, the foreign word jarring in her sweet, bubbly tone. Payton then started rummaging through my bedside table draw, the sound of bottles clanging.

"Merlin Mel, how many potions do you have?"

"Enough to help me sleep at night," I admitted. She pulled out a light rose vial and smirked.

"To settle your nerves," she said as she presented the Calming Draught to me. I sighed, taking it from her, popping the cork off with my thumb and shooting the tangy liquid down my throat. Daphne had emerged from her bed and was looking at me hesitantly as I finished off the potion.

"Okay," she said slightly discomforted. "Let's go down."

In less than a minute I found myself sat on one of the Common Room couches. I was beside Faye amongst the lively chatter of the sixth and seventh year's. Daphne was now with Nott in a corner of the room, talking quietly as they sat in each other's arms. Payton had also ditched us for her man, Pukey slithering his arms all over her body every chance he had. The Calming Draught started to kick in and I found myself feeling elated.