Chapter Fifty

The blow of trumpets and wallop of drums pulsated into my ears as we landed jaggedly onto the coarse grass. Cheers stemmed from the excited students bouncing in the stands as Professors and adults around us applauded. I could hear people chanting Hogwarts, mine, Cedric's and Harry's name. The sobs started to tidal wave out of me, my fingers clutching Cedric's shirt tightly; as if letting go would take me back. A subtle warmth still radiated through his skin, a sign that life once existed; maybe they could save him, reverse the curse? No, there was no reversing the Killing Curse. The facts pierced my chest again.

Harry's crying and stirring to my side roused me from my grief. "He's back!" he cried into the air at the bodies approaching us.

I remained clasping Cedric's body, his chest sodden from my tears. If I let go, I knew I would never be close to him again; to feel him again. Was it sick? How I clutched onto the soulless body of a dead man? After seeing Mr. Crouch's pallid body weeks ago, I never fathomed I could approach a dead body again, let alone hold onto one with my dear life. But this wasn't any dead man, this was Cedric. Pretty-boy Diggory who I was kindling a relationship with, so innocent and pure. The first one to capture my heart, make me feel, make me break, make me jealous. More cries tumbled out of my mouth as I buried my dirtied face into his torso.

There was a lot of movement around us, Harry repeatedly alerting the Headmaster and other Ministry officials of Voldemort's return. The cheering was vanishing now, replaced with gasps, undertones and even screams.

"Cedric, he asked me to bring his body back," Harry struggled through his tears. "I couldn't leave him, not there."

I finally looked up, aware of how distraught I would have appeared. I failed to slow down the sobs and they continued to quake through me. Dumbledore stared at me with wide blue eyes and then at my arm which was still seeping of blood. The black robes of Snape and other Professor's hurried around us, trying to block Cedric's body from the students view. Dumbledore placed a hand on my quivering ones that clutched onto Cedric.

"It's alright," he spoke softly and then gripped Harry's shoulder, "it's alright. He's home. You all are."

Harry half collapsed onto me, seeking comfort from the only other person who could understand. His forehead leant on my upper back as I straightened, his head tremoring against me as he cried. I looked down again at Cedric's whitened face and ran a hand over his cheek.

Fudge then ran back over to our side. His voice hissed, "the body must be moved, Dumbledore. There are too many people."

"Let me through!" A voice I recognised as Amos Diggory yelled. My eyes closed, not wanting to witness the heartache. McGonagall's hand rubbed circles on my back, it was comforting and I appreciated her motherly presence. She was soon pushed aside by Amos who was calling, "that's my son!"

Harry moved off him and tugged at my shoulder's to give the man room. I hesitantly let go of his shirt and sat back, falling half onto Harry's lap. Cries continued to hiccup out of me as I watched Amos fall onto Cedric. "That's my boy!" He bellowed.

Mr. Weasley was at his side, hands supporting the falling man. The twins weren't far behind their father, watching the scene with hopelessness. Amos continued to hold Cedric and cry more. He was wailing now. Cries also came from the students around us and I finally looked up to see everyone fixated on us. Girls were screaming, sobbing hysterically. Daphne cried into Nott's shoulder, as well as Faye; horrified. Payton hugged her while Pucey's hand rested on her shoulder, watching us despondently. Cho was on her knees, crying into her hands as her friends surrounded her.

Someone's hands held onto my shoulders and it was now I noticed Harry was gone, being whisked away by Moody. I followed the hands to see they belonged to Snape and a red flag waved within me.