Ch. 55-The End

• Dedicated to My Readers

I scoured the house in a hurried panic at the sun slowly began to rise. Evanora had disappeared from bed early into the morning and had not returned. She wasn't in the bathroom, or in the twins' room. I tried the kitchen, my greenhouse, even the backyard, but she was no where to be found. I was worried sick about her and I padded across the cold tiled floor towards the front door. I opened the door, and froze in place. There she was, sitting on the stairs, a beer in hand. I pushed open the screen door and walked out into the chilly air. I stood there for a little while, just watching her, but she didn't seem to take notice of me. "You know, it's impolite to stare," she said as she took a drink from her beer. I walked over and sat down beside her.

"Didn't think I was so noisy," I replied jokingly, tucking my feet underneath my gown to keep them warm.

"You aren't exactly a ninja, dear. I heard you moving about the house. Take it you were looking for me?" Another drink. I nodded my head.

"You left bed so early this morning, and when you didn't come back...I guess I just got worried." She nodded her head, another drink. "How many beers have you had?" She tapped her fingers against the bottle as she thought.

"This would be my third."

"Why are you drinking so early?" She shrugged her shoulders.

"Numbs the pain for a little while I guess." She kept her face turned away from me, but I noticed the sunglasses that she had perched on her nose.

"Are you hungover?" She turned to look at me as she clenched her jaw.

"No. I just told you that this is my third beer. I clearly didn't go out last night if I was in bed with you, sleeping."

"Then why are you wearing sunglasses?" She sighed heavily.

"My eyes," she replied. I nodded my head, finally catching on.

"Didn't want to worry the morning joggers with your witch eyes huh?" I asked jokingly. She shook her head, not even smiling.

"Cordelia...I'm blind," she said. I froze, my heart racing.

"You're blind? How is that even possible?" She shrugged her shoulders and took a long drink. She wiped her mouth with her sleeve and she reached up, removing the sunglasses from her face. She looked at me again, her eyes now a milky white. I gasped in shock.

"I guess with both Papa Legma and my mother dead, the deal was invalid...which means that I can no longer see and I am no longer as powerful as you." I reached forward and cupped her cheek in my hand, but she scooted away.

"Evanora, don't be this way. It's okay." She nearly broke the sunglasses that were in her hand, and she didn't look at me.

"It's okay? That's easy for you to say, Cordelia, you're not blind."

"Not anymore. You forget that I was blind...twice." A tear ran down her face and she squeezed her eyes shut. She chucked the half empty beer across the yard and it shattered against the pavement. She held her face in her hands.

"Your's was fixed with magic though, Delia...mine can't be." I scooted closer to her.

"We don't know that...I mean, I am the Supreme...so maybe...maybe I can find a way to fix this."

"What can you not handle having a blind wife?" I sighed heavily, knowing that she was in too much pain for her own good. I touched her knee, and this time she didn't move away from me.

"I never said that, Evanora, and you know that I love you with or without your eyesight. It doesn't matter to me if you can see. If you wish to remain blind, then I won't even bother looking. I just want you to be happy."