Ch. 54

I blinked away the tears as I tried for the third time, to put on my makeup. My mother's trial was today, and I couldn't find the strength to even make it out the door. Last night wasn't brutal, and Cordelia had made me feel better, but I just couldn't handle having to face my mother again. I didn't want to see her ever again. There was a light knocking at the bathroom door and I wiped away the tears again, not bothering to wipe away the smears of makeup on my face. I unlocked the door and there stood Cordelia. Her face fell when she saw my face.

She sighed heavily and reached out, wrapping her arms around me. "Come here, baby," she whispered as I rested my head on her shoulder. She rubbed my back lovingly, and kissed the side of my head. "The council has asked me to go with you. I'm leaving the girls with Zoey and Queenie and then we'll go okay? Can you try keeping it together tonight?" I nodded my head, unsure of what would come out of my mouth if I opened it. "Okay then. Try to pull yourself together and just...leave the makeup off. You don't need it anyway."

I nodded my head and she led me back out to our room. Laying on our bed were two different styles of black dresses. Cordelia picked up one and took it over to the full-length mirror, undressing herself. I stared at her, wondering how I had come this fair. Being married to my headmistress, the most beautiful woman in the world. I slowly started walking towards her and then I stopped in my tracks, my eyes never leaving her gorgeous backside. What if this is all a dream? I thought to myself. What if this is just like before when I used to read her mind without knowing it, and she's thinking about this while I am sitting in her office or something, than what am I suppose to do when I wake up? Come to think of it, I haven't had a single one of her thoughts enter my mind for several months. 

Cordelia had slipped into her dress and straightened out the skirt. Her eyes met mine in the mirror. She bit her lip and slowly turned around. "Evanora? Evanora, honey, is there something wrong?" she asked. I snapped out of my trance and shook my head, walking back over to the bed, snatching the dress up in my grasp, and walking back into the bathroom, locking the door behind me. I slid down the door until my butt landed on the floor. I started to shake with silent sobs as I held my face in my hands. It's true. Delia is just imagining all of this. The marriage, making love, the job in Maine, the twins, Fiona's death, me ending Papa Legma, Nadir, and everything inbetween was fake! It was just a figment of Cordelia's imagination! What am I going to do when I wake up and see her still married to Hank, but knowing that she likes me? Am I suppose to quit school again? Go after her again? Make sure that she doesn't cheat on me with Misty again? How the hell am I going to handle this? Knowing that my babies aren't really alive...yet?

I heard her knocking on the door again and I closed my eyes when I heard her voice. "Evanora? Evanora, is there something wrong?" she asked. I took a deep shaky breath.

"Yeah...I'm fine," I replied.

"Well then, unlock the door. I'm really starting to worry about you, Eva." I rose to my feet and quickly tossed my clothes off. I slipped the short black dress on, the zipper still undone, as I opened the door. Delia's face fell at the sight of my new tears. "You're crying again." I walked passed her into our room.

"Could you zip me up?" I asked as I grabbed my hair, tossing it over my shoulder. Delia walked up behind me, and slowly tugged the zipper up. She ran her fingers along the back of my neck, slowly. I bit my lip, a tear forcing its way down my cheek. I wiped it away and knew that there was only one way to know for sure. I spun around and Delia stood with her hand still outstretched towards me. "Are you dreaming?" She looked confused and raised a brow, her hand resting at her side.

"What do you mean dreaming?" I took a deep breath and sat down on the edge of the bed, my face in my hands.

"Is this real?" She looked even more confused, and I growled. "Are you fucking staring at me in your office putting me into another damn trance?!" Her face resembled shock as she realized what I meant.