Chapter 10

Chapter 10
Dec 8

Two days rolled by quickly as I prepared myself for the Christmas Pageantry, which was the next event in the Christmas festival. Using the town hall again as a venue, the place was adorned with colourful decoration as streamers and balloons were tastefully embellished around the grand hall.

It didn't take long for mom's highly anticipated event to end and I had to confess, I was impressed. There was an undeniable excitement when it came to pageantry that couldn't help but get people hooked. The pageantry wasn't limited to young people, as older people, even the elderly in their respective events, took part in it. Eventual winners were crowned as people's initial anticipation died down at the end.

Sarayah had her special entrance on the stage towards the beginning of the pageantry. She was, of course, the star of the show right now. She was likewise, one of the judges and everyone knew she was Linda Duke's daughter. Sarayah strutted through the stage with so much poise and confidence, and it was no surprise that all eyes were glued on her. Catwalking was her domain and she had her good looks and trim figure to keep everyone interested in whatever she does.

I had sat in front so I could get great pictures of the event and noticed Rebecca, Seyi's first daughter I had met at the market with Ayo (who I still hadn't heard from in four days) was a contestant, confirming what Seyi had told me days earlier. Rebecca hadn't won, but she was the second runner-up in the children's category. Knowing that I would possibly see Seyi and Ayo at the back, I hesitated to leave at the end and when I did, I couldn't ignore hearing my name being called.

Here he was, standing in front of me, holding his two nieces while I tried my best, not to look nervous.

His nieces greeted me while I replied them with a smile on my face. "Congratulation on your win, Rebecca."

Rebecca gave a bashful smile while I tried to ignore how intensely Ayo stared at me. "But I'm not the winner."

Seyi's voice boomed closer. "Nonsense. Every victory deserves a celebration and this one is included."

We all shifted our gazes to her direction as she came in hand in hand with an equally attractive average height man with ivory skin color and a friendly smile.  I instantly knew it was her husband. Wole Olayemi. We all exchanged polite pleasantries, keeping the conversation light as I tried really hard to avoid Ayo.

As quickly as I could, I began to walk back to where my car was parked, when heavy sounds of footsteps moved closer and closer to me. I hated that even without turning around I knew it was him, as I could smell his distinct light fragrance of cologne filling the air.

"You're avoiding me, aren't you?"

My mouth twisted into a scowl. "You think too highly of yourself. You know that"

A tiny flicker of smile etched across his lips. "You are really something."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It's a compliment. Believe me."

"I don't need any compliments."

He looked slightly appalled by my responses but he didn't back down. Even I was surprised by my outbursts.  "I see that you think I'm being a pain so I'll back off. I do want us to be friends. It would be a waste to know you, and not at least be friends."

I blinked rapidly at him. Did I just get friend zoned? By a guy I was attracted to? I cursed internally at the stupid situation I had led myself into but I managed to play it as casual as I could. "I don't think you're a pain. I just got a little disappointed that you didn't try to keep in contact with me."

"So your solution was to avoid me?"

I shrugged. "I wasn't up for any confrontation. I already have enough these past couple of days. It's been rough for me lately."

"Well I'm sorry if I seemed like an ass. I just thought you needed space."

"Your apology is accepted. I hold no grudge. Besides, we're friends now, aren't we?"

His smirk was loop sided. "We are. I'm just glad we resolved this."

I plastered a big fake smile that made the corners of my cheeks hurt. "Yeah. Me too."

Watching him stroll away after saying our goodbyes, I fought hard not to give a loud groan. I tried to see the positive side to it. Being friends was a lot better. I didn't need a romantic relationship with him. Being friends could hopefully help to dissipate any form of attraction I felt for him, so I could move on with my everyday life

.....................................................................................................
...................................................................................................

Dec 9

Waking up the next morning, I couldn't ignore the particular stench that drove me out of bed so early. I wasn't surprised to see Sarayah cooking up something clearly inedible and possibly toxic for consumption with a gleeful smile on her face in the kitchen. Colors of green and yellow swirled inside the pot as I struggled not to throw up that instant.

"What are you cooking? It looks weird." This was me, trying to give an olive branch of peace.

"it's not supposed to look like cake or bread, Silly. It's a healthy mix of vegetables, tunics, cod oil and fruits. It might look like crap but it tastes divine. Have a taste?"

I rolled my eyes. "I'm fine. I don't need to eat anything to change how I look by changing my body type to meet the world's stereotype."

Sarayah shook her head in disappointment. "You never were open minded.  It's no wonder you're a mess."

"Have you ever tried censoring your words for once?" I narrowed my eyes. I was seriously losing my patience.

"Why would I do that? I'm being honest. You need honesty in your life."

"No. You're being hurtful and there's a limit a person can take."

"You're the only person that says that. It's like you have something against me."

"Newsflash. You're a celeb. No one can say shit about you. You're Nigeria's golden girl. Besides, you'd probably be surrounded by bimbos and divas who are exactly like you so you won't realise your flaw. And Nosa is too calm and nice to tell you the truth. Mom also treats you like an egg, for reasons I don't understand. So no one can see how you really are or tell you to shut the hell up when you should."

Sarayah sent a frown my way. I had really struck a nerve. "Wow. That was hurtful."

"Now you know how I always feel."

Frowning, Sarayah didn't say anything as she continued what she was doing, ignoring me like I wasn't really there.