CHAPTER 70: To protect

Start from the beginning

Thats what I thought. I must have heard wrong.
I could have sworn he said that though, or something along those lines.

"Weren't you just mumbling that you couldn't use your magic?" I said, questioning my friend further. He looked at me with a face that was calm and straight. Much unlike his very worried face earlier.

"Nah. I was saying that I hope Chara can't use magic." He said, "With the amount of LV she's probably acquired, it would be very bad if she could use magic." Sans said, mumbling something else, "she might even could beat me."

"Ah." I said, taking in the truth that came from his mouth.

There's no way he would lie to me. He's my best friend.
Would he? He said earlier the feeling in his soul was still there, but does having the menores affect the relationship we once had?

"Finally." He breathed, as the lost elevator came to a stop. It dinged with happiness to let us off of the elongated ride, except for one thing.

Standing in front of the opening elevator doors was none other than Papyrus, holding a bag of what it looked like groceries.
"BROTHER! I WAS WORRIED! I COULDN'T FIND YOU OR THE HUMAN!" Papyrus said. "THERE WAS A MARK ON THE DOOR AFTER YOU LEFT, WERE YOU PLAYING WITH MY ACTION FIGURES?" He yelled, allowing the entire lobby of the apartment complex to hear.

Sans sighed loudly, as if everything was going the opposite of his way today. "No, Papyrus. I didn't touch 'em." Sans said, trying to push past the y'all skeleton to get out of the elevator. "I'm busy. We'll talk later." He said, waving his brother off.

"BUT, BROTHER! IV'E BEEN LOOKING ALL OVER TOWN FOR YOU!" He said, "I WAS MAKING MY EXTRA SPECIAL PASTA LIKE YOU SAID TO MAKE FOR FRISK.. AND THEN.. JUST.. POOF!" He said.

"I guess your extra-cool senses weren't working at that moment to notice us leave." Said sans smoothly. "Your spaghetti is always needing your attention." He said, taking a few steps back towards the door of the entrance.

"OH! RIGHT! I TEND TO GIVE IT MY FULL, UNDIVIDED ATTENTION." He said, "I JUST BOUGHT MORE INGREDIENTS, WHEN DID YOU TWO GET BACK?!" He yelled, pointing at me. "AND YOYR SLEEVE IS CUT OFF! WHAT HAPPENED?"

"Oh I uh.." I began to say, unable to think of a decent lie to tell Papyrus, as much as it hurt my own soul.

"She was playing with your action figures." Sans said. "She accidentally got caught up in her own work and cut off her sleeve." Sans said, looking at me.

What kind of lie...?

"OH! RIGHT! LIKE IN THOSE TV SHOWS!" Papyrus said. "IM GOING TO MAKE ANOTHER BATCH! YOU TWO SHOULD JOIN ME!" He exclaimed, clapping his hands the best he could with the paper bag full of groceries in his right skeletal arm.

"We got back probably just after you left to find us." Sans said, continuing for the naïve mind. "We just went out on a walk, I needed to have s private conversation." He said, covering my shoulder slightly so Papyrus wouldn't notice the wound and bandaged area. "Listen, Papyrus, if live to go with you and eat some of your spaghetti, but-" Sans tried to say.

Papyrus, you are great and all, but we really have to go. We have to make sure Chara is still in her cell. We have to make sure everyone is okay.

If she can sense me, then wouldn't she be able to track me? Are their lives in danger if I'm around?

"NONSENSE BROTHER! I WILL CREATE A FABULOUS NEW RECIPE TONIGHT! WITH YOU AND FRISK AS MY TWO GUESTS OF HONOR!" Papyrus tried to clap again, jumping up and down excitedly. "OH! WE CSN MAKE DECORATIONS AND EVERYTHING!" He squealed.

"Papyrus, Listen—" Sans grumbled on, unable to speak up against his brother. I know time isn't on our side at the moment, but this could be really bad if we don't get there soon.

"ONWARDS! TOWARDS THE PAPRYUS-CAVE!" Papyrus roared at the top of his lungs, picking up Sans with ease, not even getting a single thing in the brown paper bag fall and dragging me back towards the elevator.

"Papyrus, I think we need to go.." I said quietly as Papyrus dragged us back into the elevator to 'celebrate' our 'new' friendship. "Papyrus!" I yelled, however, he couldn't hear me over his excited rambles over his spaghetti and Sana'a attempts at getting him to put him down.

What if we're not in time? What if she finds me?

What is she planning? What is her motives? Why me? Why am I a liar?

So many questions roamed round in my head, swirling like water and oil.
But the one that remained in my head was the most concerning out of all of them.

Are we going to be safe trapped down here? There's no way out, but up once we go down here.

If she escapes, I will protect them at all costs.