Chapter 25: The Santorini's

Start from the beginning

"It can be learn," she grinned at me as she pulled her hand free.

"Yes, but it doesn't apply to everyone," I grinned back at her.

"True," she shook her head.

"How's your work?" she asked. We ambled along the wide hallway towards their back.

"Just done the campaign, waiting now for another project," I replied.

"I hope you can come visit us more often while you're on vacation?" she smiled at me. We reached the back of their house, she turned and I followed her. We walked along the brick path into her garden.

"Did you had anything this morning?" she asked.

I shook my head. I just realized I'm hungry.

"Good. We are about to have breakfast... Actually brunch. It's a nice day. The breeze is cool. I'm sure you'll enjoy eating in the garden," she said and I nodded my head in approval.

I grew up always having a picnic in our huge backyard when we have a nice weather. Mom and dad loves the outdoor.

"It's perfect, Auntie," I beamed at her.

"Gio!" Auntie Enna yelled from the back door.

I caught Uncle Giovanni's head peeping out through the door and then moments later, he came out with his magazine and coffee mug.

"Bambolina!" he exclaimed and met his wife with a kiss. My lips involuntarily curled into a smile. A scene I was so familiar with. The excitement on his face resembled of my father whenever he sees my mom.

And it is what makes me reluctant, possibly the reason why I waited for so long to get serious to any man. Not that I felt certain with Alex. He's too involved with too many women before, what makes me different? He may have told me too many times I wouldn't be like them, but what would be my assurances?

"Clara!" Uncle Gio's elated voice pulled me out of my thought.

"Hello, Uncle. You never aged," I beamed at him. He moved closer to me and leaned down, then gave me a peck on my cheek, very carefully not to tip his mug filled with steaming coffee.

"My wife keeps me young," he chuckled then winked at me good-naturedly as he moved away.

"I'm glad you paid us a visit," he said as he stepped back and stood beside his wife. Then he carefully took a sip of his coffee, eyes fixed on me.

"Just taking a break, Uncle," I smiled.

He chuckled, a few lines wrinkled under his eyes. I was like seeing GP's older face. They look so much alike.

"I hope you'll have fun then with my boys. I'm so happy that you guys can get together. It's been awhile," he remarked. I could sense a pang of longings with his tone which made me smile.

"I'm sure I will, Uncle," I grinned switching my gaze between them.

Auntie Enna was looking pleased. I didn't entertain the negative feeling kicking in as I looked at uncle Gio. He lifted the magazine he was holding and stared at it while he carefully took sips on his coffee.

"DADDY!" a shrieking woman's voice came from behind us and we all turned to witness what was it all about.

Bambi was charging towards us wearing a look of a scorned woman.

I smiled as I watched her approaching us. 'The Santorini's prodigal Princess'.

Sometimes I wonder where did she inherited her character. She's all the opposites of the Santorini's men.