Chapter 37: Life Is Never Fair

Life is like a rough road with too many bumps. And when you think you are at the dead end, that's where we are wrong. There is always free routes, and it's up to the taker which way they go and how they they take them. And take note, there will always be a bump no matter which way. Now it's the taker choice, he can take it with good intention or bad.

— MsDreamerGirl84

My legs felt like it had absorbed a boulder, it suddenly felt heavy to move around

My legs felt like it had absorbed a boulder, it suddenly felt heavy to move around. I was rooted on the ground, my whole body stilled as my gaze fell on her.

My heart suddenly drummed furiously as I watched her looking lost and beaten.

"Tammy?"

She looked like she had been chased by a devil. Hair that used to be always kept was bedraggled. Puffy and red sunken eyes due to lack of sleep, black under her swollen eyelids, and was staring into an empty space.

No, she was staring into a dark abyss, seemingly was sucked into a deep, bottomless chasm.

She wasn't even aware we were standing a few feet away, watching her. To think she was facing our direction, she must have been so lost in her thought, she couldn't see us.

I noticed her face was bare with any beauty cream or powders, and she looked ten years older than her real age.

She was still wearing that white shirt with black pants she wore this morning at the court, but her shirt is now untucked.

Her shoulders are sagged, her face, a picture of awful sad of hopelessness. A sight where someone's world had collapsed.

She finally felt our presence.

She bristled up. "Clara Bell!" she cried out with a start as she briskly ran towards me.

"Don't come too close!" Alex barked and in an instant, he was blocking me from her using his body.

"What are you doing, Alex?" I hissed, coming out from his back so I could see Tammy.

Alex just let out a low growl, and I know it's meant for me to stop asking question.

Tammy was rooted a couple feet away. Her face filled with the evidences of her deep sorrows. Dried patches of tears scattered everywhere her cheeks, her face. And as soon as our eyes met, fresh ones came pouring, like little droplet of rain racing down to get to her shaking chin. She didn't even bother wiping them away or hiding her tears.

My heart clenched for her. Pity flowed through me, slowly consuming me.

A strong urge to close our gap, and engulf her into a hug, let her feel that she wasn't alone in this cruel world overwhelmed me.