Chapter 8: Drunk

Alexander's POV

It's already past one, yet I couldn't sleep. I tried to work to kill time until my eyes give in to sleep, but my brain doesn't want to cooperate. Clara Bell's face keeps popping in my head, clouding every sense of my being.

I've never been bothered before just because of a woman, a kiss no less, and from the woman who hated me ever since, especially when Claire and I started dating.

And to be honest, I hate her for meddling with Claire and I, for accusing me of what she heard of, and of hating me without a logical reason.

I thought she's just another spoiled brat, but as she grows up, she turned to be the woman I've never expected her to be. Far from what I thought she would be.

Not the sweet, kindhearted woman.

Not the selfless, thoughtful friend.

And she has the sweetest lips I've ever tasted. I never thought a kiss could make a man go crazy until that very night. That kiss that killed my interest to have any willing woman, it had occupied my thoughts, and if I don't make her mine pretty soon, I'll be thrown in that mental cell.

Fucking bloody crazy!

I grumbled under my breath as I reached out for my phone that was sitting on the side table next to me.

I've been staring at my laptop, reading contracts and reports, yet the numbers and letters make no sense, I couldn't get my brain to process it.

I grunted in vexation as I furiously folded the laptop that was sitting on my lap and placed it on the pillow at my side. My back leaning against the white upholstered wingback headboard.

I tapped on my phone and read my emails instead. Mostly from our international partners. For a moment, I couldn't grasp the words, and finally, I was immersed on replying each of the endless emails.

The clock ticked, I was still wide awake, fingers tapping on my phone non-stop until it beeped and I saw Ice Princess name which drifted my attention, and the halfway done email was forgotten. I log out of my email account and tap on my messages

My heart skipped a beat as I excitedly opened my inbox. All my senses seemed to be awakened even more.

Why did you break up with Claire?

My eyebrows darted together as I read the text again. I quickly checked the time, and it's 2:17 in the morning.

My fingers went back on tapping the keyboard to reply. My heart didn't stop beating like a damn drum, it's too loud in my ears.

Why are you still up?

I tapped again in the text box to response when another message came.

I read it.

Just answer my damn question. Why did you break up with her?

I could feel her anger in her text. I have a strong feeling she's drunk knowing her friend is there, and she wouldn't be so bold enough to text me. For how many years I've known her, Clara Bell never sent me a text nor a call. As much as possible, she'll avoid me.

I deleted the text I formulated a moment ago and started typing again.

Are you drunk? Jesus Christ, Clara Bell! It's past two in the morning!

Not long, a response came.

That was fast, I thought.

Who cares? I'm not working tomorrow. Besides, I'm in the safe confine of my room. Brittany is already snoring, she's out! Imagine, I beat her?