Chapter 22: The Parents

Alexander

Uncle Rafael constantly throwing me deadly stares, eyes accusing me. And I felt like I betrayed his trust. I tried to avoid his stares but even so, I could still feel his eyes boring holes into my face, and my father seemed to find pleasure in irritating him.

His disapproval of me is very noticeable, but it seemed I'm the only one who noticed it.

"This is surreal, don't you think, Valiente?" Dad commented. Uncle Rafael took his glass filled with Whiskey, then took his time sipping the brown liquid as he looked at him over the rim of his glass.

"Well, I'm happy that my son finally realized his mistakes, and choosing Clara Bell was the best decision he had ever made," Mom piped in drawing all eyes at her. She was beaming heartily at Aunt Tati, and Aunt Tati beamed back at mom, her eyes filled with the same happiness, excitement rather. The two looks thrilled, excited for us which opposite mine. Bad vibes swirling in all over my gut.

A loud thud caught all our attention. Uncle Rafael's glass made a loud thud as he placed the glass down on the table. Face grim, and the only one who wasn't thrilled with the idea of us together.

The food tasted like paper in my mouth as I stayed quiet, and hope to whoever created human that good things will come out of this awkward dinner. Even Clara Bell, she barely touched her food, and frequently throwing me a bothered look which only adds up fuel to my already raging disappointments and frustrations.

"Clara Bell is still young to get into a serious relationship," Uncle Rafael finally said after a long silence. Dad let out a loud chuckle while Mom stared at him, her smile slowly leaving her face. Aunt Tati eyed him with disapproval while Clara Bell almost choked on her own saliva.

"Are you okay?" I asked her as she wiped her mouth with the peach table napkin. She just gave me a brief glance yet fierce look that resembles a laser, nodded her head twice before turning her gaze to her father with a deep scowl on her face.

"I'm twenty-five, dad!" she snapped, her tone was clipped and sharp. Uncle Rafael only snorted before he took his glass and downed the rest of his drink, avoiding his wife's and daughter's eyes.

"Oh, come on, Valiente," dad chimed in, in a playful tone. "The kids are old enough to choose who they want to be. Don't be such a sourpuss," dad added causing me to frown at him.

I swear to the Big Guy up above, he's not helping at all!

"Dad," I called out, glaring at him. Eyes sending him a message to just shut up before he'll screw it all up for me.

"Alright!" Aunt Tati exclaimed, raising her glass. "Let's toast. For our kids and to our friendship," she said. I took my glass and raised it as I stood up, following aunt Tati. Mom agreed, rising to her feet, and everyone followed, including Uncle Rafael who still looked like he had lost billions.

"To our kids and to our friendship," mom repeated and soon loud clanking of glasses filled the dining room.

I felt a little relieved when the topic was changed. Uncle Rafael soon immersed talking with dad about his new venture. Mom and aunt Tati were talking about their kids, of course. Nothing new.

"I don't know what Am I going to do with my Sasha Beth..." I heard mom whined, letting out a deep sigh after.

When I turn my gaze to Clara Bell, she looked displeased. My heart plummeted to the ground even more.

I just hope she won't break up with me after this distressing dinner.

After the dinner, mom and dad invited uncle Rafael and aunt Tati in his office. I didn't waste any second as soon as the four left us. Sid was busy on his phone and excused himself too without a care in the world. Well, until I got up from my seat and about to approach Clara Bell when I heard Sid talk behind me.