Chapter 15: Call

Alex's POV

The dinner went well, except that the Champagne that was supposed to be mine, Clara Bell almost finished it. I knew she's upset with Claire, and she vented out her anger by drinking. I tried to stop her, but she just gave me a quelling look, and I caved in.

She told me she needed it more than I do so I resigned even though I don't want to talk to her when she's drunk. Even if she's adorable and honest when she's drunk, it didn't also help the fact that she's even hotter when she's sloshed.

I didn't want to tell her about what Claire had told me, but I was too mad with the thought that Claire had managed to win her loyalty, her trust. At last, she believed me, but I wasn't happy with the thought that I have to tell her that before she realized who her friend was.

She swayed when she got up from her seat after I paid our bill. I quickly pushed my chair backward almost toppling it causing us to draw attention, but I didn't care.

She giggled when I caught her before she fell face first on the table. The table shook when she tried to grab the edge to balance herself. The flute bobbled, the empty dishes swayed back and forth. Using my leg, I stopped the table from shaking as I tried to hold Clara Bell's weight.

"I shouldn't have let you finish it," I said regretfully, but she only giggled.

I gave the waitress an apologetic nod before leading her away. We already earned too much attention. I'm sure we are the headline tomorrow.

I took her small purse and almost carried her out of the restaurant. Her very feminine scent tickling my nostrils, it didn't also help that I'm holding her, her softness against me, it sent my senses spinning.

Langdon saw us as soon as we got out of the door, and he quickly came to help me. Clara Bell slumped against me as soon as I sat next to her in the backseat. She had mumbled something before she passed out.

I leaned my back against the leather seat and shut my eyes. I let out a deep sigh.

So much for the enjoying the night.

When I snapped my eyelids open, I met Langdon's gaze through the rearview mirror.

"To her condo, Langdon," I scowled.

The car moved smoothly with the traffic. Once in a while, I glance at her. Her face facing me, her warm breath fanning my neck as she breathed.

The smell of the Champagne mixed with her natural breath smelt rather stimulating. I willed myself to think of something else, to divert my attention.

The car parked in front of her building. The building's valet opened the door, and I slipped out, then gently carried her out of the car in a bridal style.

She opened her eyes then peered at me before she curled her hands around my neck, then she smiled lazily before closing her eyes.

"Take her purse, Langdon," I ordered before I head inside the lobby to the elevator. I ignored the staffs and residents in the hall as I strode towards the elevator. Langdon pressed the button, and I adjusted Clara Bell in my hands. She's not heavy. She seemed to weigh like a feather. I wonder what she eats every day. She's so slender.

She needs more meat.

I stepped into the elevator as soon as it opened, Langdon followed behind me. I gave him her floor number, and he punched it. Not soon enough, the elevator reached our destination. I'm getting impatient as the door slowly slides open.

"Take her key out of her purse and open the door, Langdon. Then you can rest for the night," I ordered, and he obliged quietly.

As soon as I lay her in her bed, I took her shoes off, then went to take her toothbrush. I struggled to brush her teeth. She was half awake and fighting me as I tried to keep her mouth open as I brush her teeth. After an hour, I finally get to clean her, but I had no energy left to change her clothes.