Chapter 43

*Cara's Pov*

Another month passes

It was getting to be a scorching hot July. My wavy hair was turning into a friz magnet. My face was red and blotchy from the sun and heat. July was just not my month.

At least the day care I helped volunteer at was air conditioned. It was the one oasis of cool in an otherwise blazing desert. I loved working here, the kids were adorable. I was in charge of the three to four year olds along with Ashley and Lisa.

Before the kids came, we organized the room. The kids had different stations where games and activities were set up for them. Each station was an hour and there was a total of seven stations.

Eight o clock came and the kids were piling in trying along with their parents. We extricated them from their parents, the hardest part of the job, and set them at the arts and crafts station to color.

My favorite kid Ryan was currently sitting on my lap. Ryan was this three year old boy with the big adorable brown eyes. He was obsessed with me. Everywhere I went, he followed. Right now I was teaching him how to color a rainbow.

I repeated the order of the colors for him so that he could replicate it. When he finished he held up the finished project for me to see. It was an upside rainbow. He looked so proud of his accomplishment that my heart swelled.

"That's great Ryan I love it."I gave him a squeeze. He laughed and wiggled free to get more crayons. In the meantime another kid came to sit next to me. He took a look at Ryan's picture and scribbled all over it.

"Nooooo." I bellowed but it was too late. I was powerless to stop the crayon from hitting the paper. Ryan's rainbow now had black scribbled all over it. It was barely distinguishable.

Ryan saw one look at his ruined drawing and burst into tears. I scooped him up onto my lap and started bouncing him on one leg.

"It's okay I'll make you another one." He started crying even louder. He wanted his old drawing back. Thank god pups couldn't shift yet because then the culprit of this heinous crime would be in shreds by now.

Ryan wrapped his arms around my neck and would not let go. Ashley came over. "What happened?" I explained to her what happened and she rolled her eyes. "What a baby."

"Hey! Stop that." I warned."What if he repeats?"

"Repeats? He can barely speak." She laughed. I felt bad for her future kids.

I shook my head and focused on getting Ryan to stop crying. "Ok how about this Rye Rye, if you stop crying you get to sit on my lap at nap time and you get a sticker."

His tears dried up pretty fast after that. Ashley rolled her eyes again and opened her mouth to speak but I glared at her to keep quiet. Ashley didn't like any child under eight. She should have worked with older kids but she wanted to with me, especially since we barely hung out this year. We barely hung out this year because I was avoiding her and Lisa. They kept asking me relationship questions. It stopped for a bit but now the questions have been flaring up again.

Most of the kids were afraid of Ashley, they thought she was mean. Still, they listened to her when she yelled. They liked Lisa and me though. We loved little kids.

The best part of the day was nap time. We put in toy's story and the kids either watched it or fell asleep on their mats. Then Lisa, Ashley and I finally got to talk.

"So Cara, how's things going with Christian." Ashley asked innocently. I narrowed my eyes, Ashley was all but innocent.

"Fine." I replied curtly. For once I wanted to keep my relationship to myself. I knew that if I divulged any details they would ask me a slew of other questions. Then the topic of my ex would somehow, despite my best efforts, weasel it's way into the conversation.