Chapter 15

*Reid's Pov*

What's worse than a rouge attack; going to a meeting about a rouge attack? That used to be one of Matt's favorite jokes to tell, and it was one we all thought to be true. During a rouge attack, you are actually DOING something, whether it be fighting or dying. There was frenzy, chaos, people running back and forth. In a meeting, the only running back and forth is the occasional Alpha running to the bathroom.

The common misconception people assume is that Alphas are young, attractive brooding young men, when in reality some aren't. It is true that at eighteen you eligible to challenge your father for the position. Many did, but the majority wanted to focus on college, traveling and finding their mates so they waited years until finally becoming alphas.

The packs in Washington especially had this problem.The newly appointed Alphas were taking over packs in their very late twenties, thirties some in their forties. The problem was that by the time they were in their thirties and forties their ideas became recycled copies of their parents.

No one wanted to promote any new ideas, and new ideas were sometimes mocked or shut down. This type of conservatism is great when things are running smoothly, but things weren't and they never would unless new ideas were offered up.

From the stories I used to hear, my father used to get things done. He used to push new ideas forward, and would not back down when they were challenged. His resilient nature brought him a lot of enemies, people laughed and criticized all of his plans but they all worked. For years the threat of rouges severely decreased, new pack boundaries were reinforced, pack hostility even decreased. But then mom died and then you could guess what happened. He sat back and agreed with everything other members produced, he quite frankly did not care anymore.

That's the reason I wanted to leave the pack so much and start my own, once you stop caring about the safety and wellbeing of your pack, you no longer deserve the title of being an Alpha. But if that was the case, then almost every pack member at the meeting would be stripped of their alpha statuses.

I felt Matt elbow me in the rib. My mind stirred and bit and I looked and him. My eyes focused and I saw him shake his head. Truth was I had been blanking out since the meeting started, and my eyes did occasionally close. Everytime that happened, Matt would catch it and nudge me awake.

''Don't give me that look; don't tell me you've actually been paying attention this whole time.'' I mind linked him. We've been sitting here for three hours straight and still nothing had been accomplished. I taped my leg restlessly waiting for something, anything, interesting to happen.

"Nah I'm thinking about Ashley. But come on Reid, I've never seen someone look so disinterested before. You sure you're alright?" He broke his eye contact with the orator to glance quickly at me.

"I'm fine, I just can't believe this is taking so long, can they just all come to an agreement that nothing will be solved and we'll see them next month." I folded my arms and let out a small sigh.

Matt chuckled softly but still about forty sets of eyes turned to him. If it were a meeting of humans that chuckle would not have been heard, but being that there was an assembly of wolves, Alphas no less, even a pin drop wouldn't go unnoticed.

He paled instantly looking around like a deer caught in headlights. This caused me to crack up and the eyes shifted to me but I couldn't stop laughing. How ironic that the one moment Matt decides to break character and laugh, everyone stops what they are doing to stare.

"Is there a problem, Mr. Melovitch?" The speaker from the Rosette Pack asked. He took off his spectacles and gave me a stern look. He was about forty but stress had aged his face well.