Chapter 39

It's been two months now, school was officially over. Reid, Matt and the gang graduated and had prom. I went to both with Christian. Since Reid's rejection we became so much closer. At first I avoided him like the plague, but it became obvious I couldn't keep up with that any longer. We were best friends regardless.

Summer was in session and you think I wouldn't run into Reid much. Wrong again. Summer was nothing like the school year. There were parties and all these pack games and activities. Reid was required to show up to every pack activity and because Reid was there, I was there.

We were watching one of the pack games and then going back to Lisa's house for a girls night. The guys in our pack versus the guys of the Crispburn Pack. Christian described it as a battle to the death. No one would come alive, or so he said. In reality it was just one big soccer match.

Our pack won for ten straight years until last year. That was the year two of the best players went on a "road trip". But now they were back and ready to kick Crispburn's asses. Everyone turned up for this event. Even though my mate broke my heart, I was still rooting for him.

Lisa and Ashley had the jersey numbers of their mates painted on their faces. I had something better, I had Christian's jacket. I always said I wanted to wear one of those soccer jackets. Even though this wasn't Reid's jacket, I still got a jacket. Christian was never getting this back.Ever.

The greatest thing about the summer was it's effects on my attitude. The summer rejuvenated me, yes I still wanted Reid obsessively, but not being around him everyday made things better. No more uncomfortable study halls or gyms anymore. Now whenever I thought of Reid I felt bitter sadness instead of heart wrenching sadness. The pain was still there only dulled down a bit.

Ashley nudged me. "Look at Matt."She grinned."Isn't he attractive in that uniform. He plays a great center-forward."

I wasn't paying attention to what she said, my eyes were on the goalie. Reid stood there with a concentrated look on his face. His mind was focused on the game. I never pictured Reid as anything but an offensive player but now seeing him as a goalie, I couldn't picture him anything but one. They had the hardest job on the field, it was relatively easy to kick a ball in the direction of a goal, but it was harder to stop it from going in.

"Mind if I sit down here?" Melissa stood up next to me. She had Reid's jersey number painted on her face in bright blue face paint.

I looked away, but secretly I was fuming. I didn't want her sitting next to me, I didn't even want her around in general. She was with my mate and she was parading that fact around me.

"Go Reid." She jumped in the air.The game didn't even start. Still Reid looked over at our side.He smirked at her and gave a wave.

"Isn't he cute?" Melissa nudged me. She raised her eyebrow almost begging me to say something contradictory. Fortunately for her I wasn't a confrontational person. Unfortunately for her however,  it only took Ashley the slightest provocation to get rilled up .She grabbed Melissa by the arm and pulled her out of the chair.

"Go away. Shoo."Ashley folded her arms. Melissa wasn't easily rattled.

"I was just trying to start conversation."She said innocently. "I thought maybe we could be friends."

Ashley shook her head."Wrong again. We don't need another friend." She pushed her once more. Finally Melissa smiled sweetly and walked away.

"Bitch." Ashley muttered. I stared at the players running around. Melissa was just trying to annoy me, as if she thought this whole thing was hilarious. Yes because losing the love of your life was hilarious in her eyes.