Chapter 18

*Cara's Pov*

I took a deep breath as I stepped out from the car. I fairly remembered waving goodbye to dad as I lingered at the steps of the school waiting to go in. To say I was nervous would be a huge understatement. Adapting to new surroundings was never my thing. Blending in as well, and right now I probably wasn't doing either as I stood outside like a kindergartener afraid to leave his/her mom for the first time.

It would of been nice to have Reid or Ashley with me, but Ashley got a ride from Matt. They offered but I turned it down. Its not like I could ask Reid for a ride anyway, not only was I still not on speaking terms with him, but he was still in Oregon last I heard. He decided not to take Matt after his little stunt at the sandwhich shop.

I don't know when he would be returning, and I kind of hoped maybe later. After realizing how I overreacted, I don't think I have the heart to face him today in school.

Since the last time I saw him, I have been suffering a severe case of guilt. I seriously needed to talk to him and get everything sorted out, I needed to apologize. But that would have to be later than sooner.

Plus, even if I was offered a ride, I wouldn't have gone with them anyway, my dad never got the chance to drop me off at school when I was younger, so he was making up for it now. I whipped out my cellphone and texted Ashley asking where she was. My dad gave us all cellphones, and so far I was loving the texting part of it.

I pushed open the doors to enter the building, and I was thrown off by the vast size of the inside. The hallways stretched all the way down and each wall was covered with lockers. I ran my hands across them, gaping in pure amazment. Coming to my senses, I stopped myself, I must have looked so silly. I looked around to see if anyone was watching me; nope they were all busy on their phones.

I reached in my pocket for my phone again, I texted Ashley again asking where she was. She promised that she would show me where the main office was but I guess I'm on my own here.

I looked around the bottom floor hoping to find the general office so I could get my schedule and locker number.It dawned on me I was starting to look like a lost puppy so I asked the guy nearest from me how to get to the general office.

He gave me a confused look."Are you new here?"

I nodded.

"Here let me show you." He said leading the way. He took literally five steps and pointed to a door with a big sign on it saying General Office. He laughed as my cheeks turned a bright shade of red.

"I'm practically blind." I lied trying to excuse my stupidity but he didn't look like he believed me. In fact, he outright laughed in my face. I said thanks and ducked into the office. I waited for someone to come and help me. Sitting down on the chairs felt uncomfortable, but I blamed my uneasiness on my nervousness. Still, I remained seated and tapped my foot violently against the carpeted floors. From on onlooker it would probably seem as if I was pissed off but it was simply a coping mechanism to deal with the sudden fit of nerves that seemed to manifest itself in my body.Finally an old lady with brown hair came scufflin over, her high heels clicking with each gradual step. She walked with her back bent slightly but her head pointed straight up as she walked.

As soon as she approached I asked about my schedule and locker. She gave me a small white piece of paper. It had all my classes and my locker number. I stared at my paper confused, the name wasn't mine. It was Carol Hassner.

"Excuse me, this is not me." I pointed to my name.

The lady looked both ways before leaning into me. " Your name was changed due to Alphas orders. For safety concerns teachers will know you as Mrs. Hassner."