Chapter 32

Reid Pov

I fought to open my eyes but darkness was dragging me down, threatening to keep me. I decided in this moment that I was truly dead.I kept hallucinating sounds, it sounded as if I was hearing my mate's voice but I knew that couldn't be true.I was dead and she was alive.

This must be what hell was like. I heard of a wolves' soul going to the moon goddess and living in some form of eternal bliss, but this wasn't it. There was no eternal bliss or white blinding light, there was just darkness, heavy and present. It weighed me down and gave me no hope.

That's why I believed I was in hell. There was no happiness no joy, I was alone, deeply and utterly alone. And the hallucinations were getting even worse. Just when I was getting used to the array of voices swirling around in my head, my mate's voice came back again, silencing them all. Just little unrecognizable words here and there but it still reminded that I was dead and she was alive.I was leaving her to fend for herself, what if the rouges found out where she was.What the hell would I do?

I couldn't let that happen.I needed to get a message to her but it was impossible.We were in two different places or time zones, was hell even a place? I didn't know.

All I knew was that I had to make sure she was ok, I just had to. I don't know how long it took for this to happen, but slowly and surely the blackness evaporated and my eyes stared up at the white walls of what I assumed to be a hospital. I was alive?

"I am alive,"I said to myself with slightly more conviction. I tried to get up but pain seized me and I stayed in my place. I heard a sigh and I turned to see Cara in my hospital bed.

I blinked. Was this real life or was this a version of hell? Was she going to somehow burst spontaneously into flames? I touched her face cautiously and she let out another small sigh. Her face twitched and she scrunched up her nose.

My eyes watered  instantly.  It was definitely my mate which meant I was definitely alive. I stared at her, how was she here?How'd she find out that I was hurt. I would find out soon enough when she woke up.

I stared at her face for awhile.She had been crying, leftover tears crusted on her face.My heart lurched, I didn't want her worrying about me.She shouldn't be here, she wasn't safe here.

When I touched her again, her eyes flew open."Reid." She sort of choked out."You're awake?" She couldn't believe it any more than I could.

I tried to get up but the sizzling hot pain burned through me keeping me paralyzed in my place.

"Don't get up." She said quickly.Her eyes wide with fright.

"Believe me babe, I couldn't even if I wanted to." I joked trying to ease some tension. She didn't even crack a smile, she just stared at me through her big blue eyes.

But I needed to get up, I needed to shift so I could regain some of my former strength. I tossed one leg over and the other.My legs gave way as soon as they touched the ground and I landed on the floor with a thud. Cara was out of the bed in a flash trying to help me up. I took her hand and stood up. She tried to lead me back to bed but I shook my head.

"Cara please undo the string to my hospital gown."I could barely even lift my arms let alone reach behind me to undo it myself.

"No you need to go back to bed.Why the heck did you get up?"She reprimanded me. Her face was flushed with worry.She tried to tug me backwards into bed. I shook free of her.

"Cara I need to shift." As much as I missed my mate, at this very moment I missed her stubbornness a little less.

"Oh."She said finally understanding.