Short fuses burn hotter

*Tom*
"Who is Claire ? " Maddie ask, as she scroll through the text messages in the inbox of my phone.

"One of the actresses in my new play Cookie". I answer, not taking my eyes off the laptop screen.

"And why the hell is she texting you at bedtime ?" She probe, tossing the phone towards me and watching it land on the bed, next to me.

I look at the device and frown, before shooting an angry look towards her. Realizing that any further discussion on this matter would be futile, I go back to my work. She wince at my silence and walk up to me.

"I am talking to you, dammit. Don't ignore me Tom". She yell, waiting for me to respond.

"Stop screaming like a fisherman's wife". I chide. "You should know very well what kind of a guy I am by now Maddie". I remark, squarely. "The mere fact that we are having this discussion ...".

"You will never understand how much I fear losing you". She confesses, interrupting me and voicing her insecurities. "And now, you are saying that I am behaving like a fisherman's wife". She whispers, tears welling up in her eyes.

I sigh. Honestly I am stressed because apparently some papers keep getting lost in African bureaucracy and Luke has hinted that we might need to grease the wheels. And lately Maddie keeps asking questions every time I get a text or talk to someone. "I have a headache and you are screaming at me for no reason at all".

"Is she pretty ? Is she up for everything is that it ? I bet she has huge boobs, I saw you look at Dahlia's". She explode in a rant of jealousy.

"Shut the fuck up Maddie!" I mutter, my anger surging. "You are acting like a bitch who doesn't know when to shut her fucking mouth". I spit out, climbing out of the bed, walked out of the bedroom along with my laptop and phone.

—————————————————————————————————————

I close my eyes and think about the baseless argument. Maddie can be so insecure and unreasonable at times. And right then I feel someone poke at my shoulder. I turn around on the couch only to find Maddie standing before me, the duvet dragging on the floor behind her.

I wince as I realize how vulnerable she looks. She is wearing just my shirt and I can trace the tear tracks on her face in the dim glow of the night lamp. Damn me ! I had acted like a first-class jerk and hurt her. It isn't her fault if she is insecure in our relationship. It is my responsibility to make her feel secure about me, our love and our bond.

"Hey". I hear her whisper as she climb into the couch, snuggling into me; before draping the duvet over us.

"Hey". I murmur and pull her close. "What happened, Cookie ?"

"I don't like us sleeping apart". She admits, snuggling ever closer.

I stroke her hair and look at how she has completely wrapped herself around me. She seem to be scared that I will reject her and ask her to leave me alone. Fuck! What have he done to her ? Wanting to prove her fears wrong, I drop a kiss on her forehead and pull her close, so that her head rests on my chest.

"I don't like sleeping away from you either love". I say, offering her a wry smile.

"The bed was too big and lonely for me". She say, curling into me. "And I missed you". She whispers, wrapping my arm around her slender waist. "I am sorry ...".

"Shh... Don't". I murmur, cutting her short. "I should be the one apologizing". I whisper, ruefully. "I should have never talked to you like that". I admit and press my lips to her forehead. "I am so sorry, Cookie. Please forgive me, baby". I apologize, earnestly.