Chapter 111: Used

The arguing just got worse. The two females in an obsidian hallway, one path leading to an iron door at the far end of the hall, and a wooden door behind them with light pouring in from outside through the cracks.

"Lisa," Isa calmly spoke to the blonde, with a hint of frustration creeping through, looking at the iron door at the end of the obsidian hallway. "I would advise that you should go down there."

Lisa only crossed her arms, glaring at the blood mage. "Why would I do anything else that would only hurt me?"

"Because it is worth it." Isa explained vaguely for the umpteenth time. "You know the saying: no pain, no gain."

Lisa shot the crippled brunette a glare. "After what you people did to me, I lost more than I ever thought I would!"

"I'm not here to debate morals again," Isa said sternly, her years of managing Sky City sharpened her tone. "I'm here because of the importance of choice- yes, I admit, there are variables that will put pressure on people."

"What kind of a choice is this then?" Lisa shouted.

"A simple one: leave through the wooden door behind you, and earn your freedom," Isa then pointed at the iron door far down the obsidian hallway. "Or you could go down there, because behind that door is something unimaginable, something that will benefit you; an immunity to Jess."

"So you are helping me?" Lisa scoffed, a growl bubbling in her throat. "You expect me to believe anything you say?"

"If you didn't, I wouldn't be wasting my time with someone stubborn." Isa said, earning Lisa's ire. "But not even the stubborn will reject more power."

"Why would Jess give me something like this?" Lisa couldn't understand why. "This opportunity?"

"She doesn't like you, let alone respect you," Isa said honestly. "But this is your chance to prove her wrong; it is something that will protect you from Jess, and if used right, it could protect the City."

"My Templars can handle the City." Lisa crossed her arms. "The first Templar trusted us with that power, and I don't want anything from you or your boss!"

Isa's frustration started to build up again. "Your Templars couldn't stop the hybrid ur-ghast, or Jess, or the Chaos Sorcerer!" Isa reminded harshly. "You cannot even protect yourselves-" She pointed at the iron door. "-but this will!"

"Then what is it?" Lisa demanded. "What is so powerful that Jess is willing to give it to me?"

"I cannot tell you-!"

"Of course you can't!" Lisa interrupted. "You are just one of her underlings; this is probably a trick anyways!"

Isa ignored that, she heard much worse after Sky City turned on her. "I can assure you that it is not."

Lisa threw her hands up in frustration. "Then tell me what it is!" The blonde shouted. "If I can actually leave, shouldn't you be tempting me with whatever is behind that door? Giving me vague descriptions is doing the opposite!"

"I cannot!" Isa stated firmly. "If I do, it defeats the whole purpose of this test!"

"A test?" Lisa repeated as if it is the most ridiculous thing she heard. "Why should I have to prove anything to you people?! I want nothing do with this place, or whatever it is at the end of that deathtrap of a hallway!"

"It's not a-!" Isa stopped herself and took in a deep breath, and gave the Templar a clam, if not pleading, stare. "Lisa, please, you are making a very unwise decision here."

"I made my choice." Lisa turned her back, much to Isa's irritation and horror. "I'm going to find my husband and his friends, and I will find the first Templar, and with his help I will get my daughter back!"