Chapter 33: Twilight Part 6

One Month Later

"She killed Maya?" asked Jesse, holding his daughter tighter as she blocked those words with her tiny hands on her ears. Afraid.

Gill nodded sadly, almost crying. He couldn't muster any courage to say anything, it just hurts too much.

Nobody said anything, but there was simply too much to ask, and no one wanted to be the first to ask.

"Jesse." Said Lisa, her voice soft. "Go inside and have Jennifer stay in her room."

He nodded, and while still carrying his small, adopted daughter up to her room where she'll be safe, and away from this mature conversation.

"Excuse me, mam?" said a female voice to Lisa.

Everyone looked to the right to see a girl with short black hair, green eyes, and wearing casual cloths with a small hat, and holding a large cake. "Yes?" Lisa asked the stranger. "Can I help you?"

"I'm here to deliver the cake you and your husband ordered for a..." the stranger explained, pulling out a slip of paper. "...Jennifer, if I'm correct."

"The bakery delivers?" Lisa asked. "I thought we needed to pick it up?"

"Well, yes, normally." Said the delivery girl. "But you're late to pick up your order, so I decided to deliver it personally!" she said with a smile.

"Really?" asked Lisa. "You shouldn't have to go through the trouble of doing it."

"Oh I don't mind." Says the delivery girl, playfully waving Lisa off. "Besides, it's for the birthday girl."

"Thank you." Said Lisa, glad that something positive happened today. "Just set it down inside the kitchen."

"No problem!" said the girl with a smile, holding the cake in both hands as she entered the large home, passing by Jesse who just exited the building and sparing a glance at the delivery girl.

"Who's she?" asked Jesse.

"An employee at the bakery who personally delivered our daughter's birthday cake." Said Lisa. "Apparently, we're late to pick up our order, so that girl personally delivered it to us."

"Yeah, I wonder why we're late?" Sarcastically asked Jesse, glancing at the two Ocelots. "Alright, tell us the rest of what happened."

Aiden decided to take over the story telling. Gill was simply wallowing in his grief... again.

----------

One Month Ago

"Hey, I said stop!" demanded Maya as Jess placed her hand on her Mana Generator. "Step away from them or else!"

"Or else what." Said Jess, turning her attention back to Maya as Jess tilts her head in a bored fashion, her voice inflicting fear into the girl.

"I'll...I-I-I'll kill you, Jess." Threatened Maya, trying to be brave. "I'll put you in an illusion that will make you insane, and fry your brain!"

It was then Jess did something that no one expected, something that haunts the Ocelots to this day.

Jess started to laugh.

She laughed and laughed and laughed, her voice spreading throughout the storm in the Twilight Forest. "You, kill me?!" she said through her laughter.

And then in an instant all emotion faded from her face, no amusement, and no laughter, not even a smile. "I would like to see you try, Maya."