Prompt 11 || Word Prompt

Hello everyone and welcome to our newest prompt!

This week, we will be featuring a word prompt. You can interpret the prompt either literally or figuratively - the more creative, the better! Just please remember that your flash fiction entry can be only as long as a single comment (2 000 characters). And don't forget to have fun along the way!

WORD PROMPT

(Word prompt: They name the most powerful storms after women for a reason

(Word prompt: They name the most powerful storms after women for a reason.)

WINNERS:

Please note that winners are not listed in any specific order. To read the rest of the entries we received, make sure to check out the comments section below!

***

WINNER 1: berrybushryry

Hurricane Katrina. Hit the United States in August 2005. Nearly two thousand people dead. Deadliest hurricane in the United States.

Madame Katrina. Adopted my sister and I in 2003. Nearly killed us three times. Possibly the deadliest foster parent in the United States.

See, Madame never played nice. Just like how Hurricane Katrina's destruction came as soon as it hit land, Madame made sure we knew our place as soon as our pathetic selves were delivered to her doorstep.

And us? We were just like the citizens of Louisiana, or wherever the hurricane hit. Powerless. All we could do was hold our breaths and sit still and hope that Madame was nice enough to not throw a hot saucepan at us.

We tried to stop her, at first.

"Please," We begged. "Don't throw that necklace away, our mother ga-" The necklace was hammered beyond recognition before we knew it. At that moment we learned, that storms don't care if it's a house that you've had for centuries and Madame won't care about anything as long as she has the power and that they both just destroy, and destroy, and destroy until they get their fill of destruction.

You know what the most scary coincidence is?

Hurricane Katrina was only so deadly because the engineers that were meant to make the flood protection system didn't do their job properly.

And Madame Katrina was only so deadly because when we called the police, they decided to sit and have a beer with her instead of helping us.

I guess they name the most powerful storms after women for a reason, after all.

***

WINNER 2: just_lake

She stood outside in the rain, screaming and throwing rocks, Her fury like a raging storm, beautiful, ferocious and angry, I've heard they say the most powerful storms are named after women, but watching her from my window pane I realize now how true it is. Thunder struck and it looked like she became one with it. A glorious disaster, what angered her so, I never may know, though my arms long to comfort, my beautiful neighbor .

***

WINNER 3: sakuraviolets

"They name the most powerful storms after women for a reason."

I stare at these words blankly. I have no idea what to write about it. I know what it means but I just... I don't know what to write.

Being spontaneous as always, I scroll down Twitter - trying to get an inspiration on this. But nothing is there. So here I am tweeting these words and include the question - what to write about this?

After a while of distracting myself by doing the things that need to be done, I grab my phone and almost jump out of happiness. Your name popped out in my notification.

You replied to my tweet? For real? It has been a long time ago since you did this. I almost forgot how it felt like to receive notifications from you.

You said in your tweet - "It shows how women influence our everyday life and how empowering they are."

I am not sure if I have interpreted the phrase the same way as you did, but I am pretty sure if any woman has influenced your life, I want to be her. If any woman has empowered you in any ways - I want it to be me.

But somehow, as I looked back - you as a man are the one who has influenced my life. You are the one who has empowered me in some ways I have never imagined.