Better Now

"Max, why the hell would I do that?" Diana asked, baffled.

"Because! He's more miserable than he has ever been without you. And he keeps bringing these floozies  home day after day. Seriously Diana, hes going to catch a disease!" She said, exasperated. 

"Whoaaa, ok then. Max, I love you, and I really wish things could have worked out, but it didnt. Ok? ok." Diana wemt to shuffle Max to the door. 

"He cries over you. I hear him at night! Its true" she stammered. Diana rolled her eyes and kept ushering Max to the door. 

"I very much doubt her cries. Goodnight, Maxine" she went to close the door on her when Max wedged back in between it. 

"Diana, please. I saw him one night with his mothers ring out. He was going to give it to you, I know it. Please, Diana. Dont let him be stupid and give it to someone else. He loves you so much. You made him a better person, please. Please give him another chance. I hate him but i hated him less when you were around" Max's blue eyes were almost pleading. 

Diana sighed "Max, please. You told me I would be better off without him, and maybe I am better now after all. I cant control your brother. Im sorry, Max". 

That night Diana lay awake. She knew she had done the right thing by breaking up with him, but it never did feel right. Maybe Max was right, maybe she needed to give him another chance. 

Around the block , Billy lay awake as well. He looked over at the Cyndi Lauper tickets he had bought for Diana. Maybe he would bring one of the other girls. He quickly decided against it. He rolled out of bed and went and grabbed his keys. He drove aimlessly to Diana's house and killed the engine at the curb across the street. He got out of the Camaro and walked over to where her car was parked in the driveway. He placed the small envelope with the two tickets and the short note he had written her underneath the windshield wiper. 

Upstairs, Diana heard the roar of a familiar engine come alive outside. She ran to her window just in time to see the blue Camaro pull away from the curb and speed down her street into the darkness. 

The next morning was a saturday. Diana had planned to meet up with Corinne. She went down to her car and saw a tiny yellow envelope underneath her windshield. She opened it up and two tickets to Cyndi Lauper's Fun Tour slide out along with a tiny crumpled piece of paper. She opened the paper and that same neat handwriting that was in her copy of Christine jumped out at her. 

I know how much this meant to you. I love you and Im sorry. - B 

Diana couldnt help but smile to herself. Corinne would have to wait. 

She sped over to Cherry Road and parked behind the blue Camaro. She ran up to the house and rang the doorbell. Billy opened it, looking shocked to see her standing there. 

"Billy, I love you too" she smiled up at him, in that moment she forgot every bad thing he had done. 

But he didnt smile back. 

"Dont do that to yourself" was all he said before shutting the door in her face.