It Must've been love

The next morning Diana slunk down the stairs. Lynn stood at the counter, humming to herself while she fried up some bacon. Diana's stomach turned at the smell. She knew the reactions she was going to get when her parents saw her face. She sat at the stool at the kitchen island quietly. 

"Morning, Diana. Didnt know if you would be up in time for breakfast" Lynn told her, not turning around. She reached up into the cabinet to grab Diana a glass. "I know you dont like bacon but Im going to make some pancakes and.." Lynn turned to Diana and gasped, dropping the glass to the floor, shattering it. Her hands covered her mouth in gaping shock. Hades, who had been sitting on the stool beside Diana, scurried away at the sound of the shattering glass. 

"What in God's name happened to your face!?" Lynnette shrieked and came around the island to take Diana's face into her hands. Diana scrunched up her nose and pushed her hands away. 

"Nothing. It was dark last night and i was running down the steps and i missed a few and , well, you can see how that turned out for me" she fake chuckled and shrugged. 

"Oh my god Diana! You need to pay more attention! Your going to paralyze yourself one of these days! My goodness gratuitous, you wait until your father sees. Jesus Murphy." Lynn huffed then went back to cooking. Diana exhaled, thankful her story made any kind of sense. She barely touched any pancakes then excused herself up into her room. She decided against going to school today. She needed time to avoid Billy and everyone else. 

She sat on her bed, looking at a framed photo Corinne had taken of her and Billy that time they went to the mall. Diana was looking at the camera smiling shyly, while Billy was looking at her. Tears fell down her face and onto the glass of the picture frame. She wiped the tears off the glass then threw the picture across the room, shattering it. She spent the remainder of the day sobbing, on and off into her blankets and the jacket Billy had given her.  

The following day wasnt much easier. She caked on makeup in an effort to hide the ugly bruise. She realized the effort was a waste and put on a huge pair of aviator sunglasses. 

She drove to school in silence, listening to nothing but the hum of the Chevelle's engine. When she pulled into the lot she noticed Steve Harrington's BMW parked but he was no where in sight. She was surprised he had made it at all considering the shape he had been in two nights ago. 

When she got inside she could feel peoples eyes on her. She could hear them whispering. While she was at her locker she overheard someone say Billy had caught Diana and Steve together, beating them both up in a fit of rage. She had also heard she was sleeping with both of them, causing them to ultimately fight over her like a piece of meat. 

She noticed Steve up the hallway so she wandered up to him. He looked worse than she felt. His one eye was mostly swollen shut, he had a fat lip and multiple cuts across his face. "Hey." Was all she could manage. 

He barely looked at her. "Hey". He mumbled.

"Are you ok? I mean you dont look it, but I mean other then the pain, are you doing ok?" She asked concerned, placing a hand on his arm. Steve looked at her , then took a deep breath. 

"Yeah, Diana. Im great. Cant you tell? I look like the fricken elephant man. All because of your boyfriend. The boyfriend that you failed to mention. Remember that? You told me you werent looking for a relationship. Then i find out I wasnt good enough for you, but that psycho is? Yeah Im doing great. Thanks for all your concern" he said snidely, bumping into her as he went to walk past. 

"Steve , wait!" She called and went to chase him when Billy came around the corner, Tommy and his crew in tow. Billy looked right at her, then looked down as he walked past. Tommy, on the other hand, stopped in front of her as she watched Billy go by.

"Wow. Diana, youre not looking so good. You and Harrington into the rough stuff these days or what?" He laughed. She glared at him and said nothing. Billy yelled to Tommy from down the hall, and he took off after him. Billy stood there a moment, looking at Diana with a sad look in his eye, then turned and walked away.