Rock You Like a Hurricane

Diana Lister woke up to the sound of a stereo blaring outside her house. "Ugh what the fuck" she mumbled as she stormed to the window to see what all the noise was about. She saw her best friend Corinne jump out of her moms car and head up her drive way, the music drifting off as her mom sped away in the family pinto. " Shit!" Diana yelled as she ran to her closet to grab some clothes, realising she had slept in on the first day back to school.

"Diana!! Corinne is hear!" her step mother Lynette yelled from downstairs. Diana heard footsteps clomping up the stairs and down the hall towards her room. "Hurry up dipshit, were gonna be late" Corinne said as her tall frame rumbled through Diana's bedroom door. She had her short black hair perfectly quaffed on top of her head and she had chosen an interesting purple outfit that looked somewhere between Madonna and Boy George. "You look nice" Diana told her, not even giving her a second glance. "And you look like a zombie". Diana stopped and rolled her eyes, "Thanks, if it hadn't been for your crazy mom blaring the BeeGees full blast at this ungodly hour Id probably still be asleep".

The search for anything nice to wear proved to be fruitless as Diana pulled on an old pair of high wasted jeans and a white corduroy sweater. "That's what youre wearing?" Corinne asked her, sounding offended. "Why whats wrong with this?" Diana asked as she looked herself up and down in her full length mirror. "Nothing if you don't want to be noticed" Corinne scoffed. Diana rolled her eyes again and blew past her headed for the stairs. "Come on loser were gonna be later than we already are". Diana grabbed the keys to her 1968 Chevelle Convertible that were hanging at the door. "Diana aren't you going to bring a lunch??" Lynette asked , looking the part of a concerned mother. "No Lynn, Ill just grab something, I don't have time" Diana and Corinne slammed the door behind them as Lynn was still complaining about how Diana should eat more or she was going to blow away.

Diana was far from blowing away. While she wasn't fat by any means, she was curvy in "all the right places" as a boy had told her in her sophomore year at Hawkins high. She was a sharp contrast to Corinne's features. While Corinne had dark hair and was pushing six feet, Diana was small and had red hair and green eyes that caught most peoples attention.

The girls hopped into Diana's faded burgundy chevelle and sped off to school in a final attempt to be on time. They made it just as most of the high schoolers were parking and heading inside, with still fifteen minutes to spare. Diana saw Steve Harrington standing by his car with Nancy Wheeler and stopped in the parking lot aisle way to talk quick before they all headed inside.

"Hey Harrington" Diana said mock seductively. Steve got a wide grin on his face as he and Nancy walked towards where Diana sat hanging out the window of her car. "Hey Lister, long time no see". "How was your guys summer?" Corinne asked across the front seat. They made small talk for a few minutes then began heading inside, leaving Diana to park her car, which just happened to be too long for most of the parking spaces.

She was just about to pull into a space that someone was backing out of when she heard a loud engine blaring behind her as well as the Scorpions "Rock you like a Hurricane", just as Corinne let out a screech and someone slammed into the rear end of her beloved car.

"What the actual fuck just happened!?" Corinne squealed from the passengers seat. Diana threw open the door and flew towards the back of her car, ready to kill whoever was stupid enough to smash into her while she was parking. Her chrome bumper hung mangled off the back of her car. Diana's eyes slowly travelled to the car that had hit her, revealing the front of a blue 1979 Camaro with only a minor scratch on the front. A shadow loomed over her menacingly as her eyes finally reached the culprit.

She looked up into the piercing, angry blue eyes of an astonishingly handsome man. He was running his hands through his shoulder length blonde hair, gawking at both her and his car. "What in the hell were you doing going that fast through a parking lot asshole!?" Diana finally screamed at the mullet sporting lunatic who had apparently thought he was at a racetrack instead of a parking lot. "ME!? You were the one who just up and slammed on the brakes honey!" the man bent down to yell into her face. She got a strong wiff of cigarette smoke and mint gum as he invaded her personal space while he menacingly accused her. "Are you shittin me? I WAS TRYING TO PARK!!" Diana squealed , balling her tiny fists up and stretching to get into his face.

"Whatever, this is your fault" he said matter-of-factly as he crossed his arms and stared down at her. "You hit me , how is that my fault?" she spat back. She actually contemplated slapping him just as a small red haired girl climbed out of the passenger seat of the Camaro and walked up slowly, clutching her skateboard. "Uhhh Billy? Im gonna go inside, I'll find you after school" she said nervously and headed off towards the middle school. "Yeah whatever" he yelled after her angrily.

" So your name is Billy?" Diana asked. All at once, his whole demeanor softened. "Yeah, Billy. Billy Hargrove" he told her and offered her a smirk. She felt her face immediately go crimson. "Alright, well Billy Hargrove, my dad owns the auto repair shop in town so your lucky this time. Don't think Im not super pissed though, my dads gonna punch me because of this" Diana furrowed her brow and looked down at the damage. Billy stiffened "Whoa wait, he wont actually hit you will he?" he asked, looking concerned. Diana scrunched up her face "Uh No? its just an expression I guess" Billy suddenly looked relieved. "Think I could bring my car by and have him maybe buff out those scratches?" he smirked again. Diana rolled her eyes for what felt to be the eightieth time and looked up at him "Yeah bring it by after school I guess and I'll see what he can do".

Diana pulled what was left of her bumper off and tossed it in her trunk. Corinne wouldn't stop blabbering "about the nerve" on that kid. But all Diana could think about was those sharp blue eyes as she dragged herself inside, officially late on the first day of senior year.  

Chapter 2: Blue Jeans

Diana practically ran into class once she got inside, completely skipping the trip to her locker. "Well Miss Lister, so nice of you to join us" Mrs. King said unamused. Diana frantically looked around the room for a spot to sit, the only one remaining was beside the blue jean clad Billy Hargrove. She felt her face turn beet red again as she scurried to her seat. "Hey Red, nice to see you again so soon" Billy smirked at her. Diana offered him a sharp look in return and began rifling through her bag to get out a pen and paper. "Alright folks, I know its been a long summer, but its time to get back to the grind and were going to start off the year with a good old fashioned book report" Mrs. King sounded delighted at the idea while there was a chorus of "awws" from the classroom. "Now, now I want you to learn that you can enjoy reading, so you get to pick your own book"  this peaked Diana's interest and she felt herself smiling. She was a good student, always maintaining somewhere between an A and B average, and she loved to read. Her absolute favourite was Stephen King and she knew he had just come out with a new novel called "Christine" about a car with a mind of its own that she was dying to read.

"What do you look so happy about?" she heard Billy ask from the seat beside her. "C'mon Billy, aren't you excited to gain a wealth of knowledge this year?" she asked mock enthusiastically while batting her eyelashes at him. "No, not really" he sneered. Diana raised an eyebrow at him. "Well, if you change your mind Hargrove I'll be in the library at lunch" she smiled at him. In response he popped the collar of his blue jean jacket and leaned back in his seat, shooting her a mischievous grin, making her cheeks burn hot yet again.