Drive

It was two minutes to midnight when Steve Harrington helped Diana into his car. She hadn't tossed her cookies since the bathroom incident and she was feeling pretty good about herself. "I promise not to barf in your car, Steve" she tried to reassure him as she laid her head against the cold window of the car. "God I hope not" Steve glanced at her , only slightly worried.

He pulled up into Diana's driveway twenty minutes later to find no one home. "Hey Di, do you have a key to get in?" Steve asked as he turned off the ignition. "Its under the goose" she told him, her eyes closed, headed tilted back on the headrest.

Steve saw a large ceramic white goose wearing a bright pink jacket and hat guarding the front door and chuckled to himself. He helped her onto her feet and walked her to the door. He retrieved the key from underneath the goose and unlocked the door for her, helping her inside.

"Well, I guess I better get going so you can sleep. Have a good night Diana" he turned to go out the door and she grabbed his arm. "Please don't go yet. Can you stay for a little while? Just until I feel a bit better?" she begged, green eyes glistening. He looked around the dark, empty house and took a deep breath. "Alright. But you should probably change out of those clothes" he laughed , taking in her dress, soaked in fake blood and alcohol. "Good point" she smiled and trudged up the stairs. She turned around, mid-way "Comin'?" Steve slowly followed her, allowing her to lead the way.

He stood outside her door as she changed, she opened it wearing a pair of baby blue pj's covered in sushi rolls. "Wow. Nice pajamas" he burst out laughing and she smacked his arm, allowing him to enter her bedroom.

He looked around, taking in everything. Her walls were littered with posters of Stevie Nicks, Cyndi Lauper, Metallica. She had stacks of records lying around and a cherry red Gibson SG guitar on a stand in the corner next to an amp and an old, grey beat up Lay-Z-Boy. "You got some pretty cool stuff" he admired, taking a seat on the edge of her bed as she climbed into it and covered herself up, turning on her lamp.

"Thanks. And thanks for staying with me. Sometimes its just nice to not be home alone" she smiled at him. "So what happened tonight with Nancy?" she asked him. Steve ran a hand through his hair and sighed. "She broke up with me. She said our relationship was bullshit, and I was bullshit. I don't know" he threw his arms up and looked at the floor. He sat quiet for a moment then climbed up beside her on her bed, staying above the covers, resting his head on her headboard. "I don't know. Maybe its for the best. We've just been through so much crap together. Literally hell and back. I don't know, Diana". He pulled the sunglasses that were on top of his head over his eyes.

"Well Im sorry that happened, Steve. You guys seemed happy" she sat up in bed and looked over at him. "You know what's funny?" he chuckled. Diana looked at him, listening. "Sometimes I wonder if I would've been better off with someone like you. You're straightforward and honest. You don't take anyone's shit, and I admire that in a person you know" he laughed again.

Diana stared at him, furrowing her brows.

He looked over and stopped smiling, glancing at her lips. "I just wish you would've felt the same way when I liked you" he said, almost sadly. She contemplated exactly what he was saying to her. "Wait. You liked me?" she asked him, confused. He looked somber "Well yeah wasn't it obvious? We hung out together like, almost every day. I wouldn't have done that if I hadn't hoped it would turn into more" he laughed at her, staring at the Sylvester Stallone poster on her ceiling.

She smiled to herself. Here she had thought he had been to good for her, when he had liked her all along. "Well Im sorry I missed that window" she joked. Steve stopped laughing and sat up on his elbow and looked at her. "Maybe that window just opened back up".

They looked at each other for what felt like forever when he finally leaned over to cup her face in his hand, and kissed her. He went to deepen the kiss when she put her hand on his chest and pulled away. "Steve.." she whispered. He leaned in to kiss her again and she turned away. "Steve, Im really sorry but I think you should go" she told him, getting out of bed and walking to her door.

Steve looked surprised as he got up and walked towards her. "Look, Diana. I didn't mean to cross any lines, Im sorry if I pushed to hard" he started apologizing, when she stopped him. "Steve. Nancy just broke up with you. You saw what you thought to be an opening and took a chance. Its not you, I just cant do this right now. I cant be your rebound, and im not looking for a relationship. Im sorry, too, if you thought I was leading you on. Thank you for taking care of me tonight, and for the ride home. I just think you should go" she kissed him on the cheek before he left her bedroom and headed out the door.

After Steve had left, Diana laid staring at her ceiling wondering what had come over her. The boy she had hopelessly lusted after practically her entire high school career had kissed her and she had turned him down. Steve was a nice, caring person who didn't have anything to hide. He would've been a good match for her.

And yet she couldn't stop thinking about the blond haired, blue eyed monster that made her feel all kinds of alive.