Chapter 47: Day 3

Hirari tucked and rolled to avoid the blast of several paper bombs that were thrown her direction. The fights were intense today, ever present, and not to mention the fact that today, the jounin don't seem to care if they kill us today. We are the last two left in this inhumain game. But then again, thats what we were hoping for. It is the last day. Today, if we servive, Hirari and I will be better concidered and tested academically. And If I've been any kind of student to Charlie, I'll take home the title of greatest ninja in the village and be inducted as Hokage.

And I will do everything in my power to get there, not only to finally realize my dream, but also to make sure Charlie feels like she didn't waist her time teaching me. Hirari pressed herself against the tree next to me and panted hard, cursing loudly when the pain from the cut on her hand finally gets noticed.

"God bless Konoha!" She yelled. She pressed the bleeding cut to her shirt to stop the flow and bit her lip. But it wasn't enough. She needed something to wrap around it. The bombs went off and jounin continued to attack. Hirari ran not far from me, panting heavily. The strain of the day was finally getting to her, and she was feeling it big time. Two kunai went sailing at her, and i jumpped in to block them, keeping her from harm just long enough to jump away and hide.

I tossed some of my own weapons and landed several hits, pushing them back so I could get away as well. The jounin ran past my hiding spot, and once I thought it was safe, I jumpped to where Hirari was and looked over her wound. It was deep, jagged, needed stitches. And the only thing we had was wire and a towel. It will have to do.

Hirari put the towel in her mouth and yelled in pain as I pushed the wire through her skin and tied it, making several temporary stitches in her hand. When done, she still left the towel in her mouth, panting heavily, until she finally just let it drop. "Thanks..." She said. 

 We both took a quick look around and eased our way around the tree's, being careful not to be seen when a group of jounin ran past.  We had an hour, one hour until the test was over. If we could survive until then, we had it made. But Hirari was having trouble with her hand.

"Naruto, I can't move it." She moaned. And it only got worse as the hour progressed. It began to turn a very bad shade of purple that slowly went to a darker color and then darker still. That's when we realized something. The kunai that had hit er hand had been dipped in a fast acting poison.

With only five minutes to go, Hirari was in a horrible state, fever growing, the color of pure black spreading overher entire hand, breaths coming in short little gasps. And there wasn't much that I could do. She looked up at me and smiled.

"Naruto, you will be an amazing Hokage. You care so much, and you're not afraid to put yourself in danger to protect someone. I can't compete with that." Her face twisted in pain before relaxing. "But then again, I won't be able to pretty soon."

"Don't you dare give up Hirari. Think about everything you've acomplished to get here, think about your little daughter. What do you think will happen to her if you just give up and die?! You have to keep going. Please Hirari."

She looked so happy, so carefree as she lay there. In her mind, she had already given up, there was going to be no going home for her. A group of jounin came in and circled us, slowly moving in closer. I held Hirari against me and took out a kunai, feeling the hot tears run down my face. All I cared about was keeping her safe until the end. I wanted to protect Hirari until her last breath in this game. "Hang on Hirari. I'll protect you. You won't die, I promise, you'll get out of this and see your little girl again. Everything will be fine, but you can't give up. You need to be strong." My voice was thick as more tears fell. She would get through this with me.

Every step the jounin took was like an inch closer to an impending death. But finally, when they were close enough to touch with the tip of my kunai, the time bell rang out around the tree's. It was done, we were free. The first thing I did was look up at the jounin and lift Hirari up in a gesture. "Help her." They took her from me and turnned, one leading me off to the edge of the arena and through a door. The minute we crossed the line into the building, Hirari was wisked off on a gurny and I was placed in a windowless room.

It was five minutes before someone came out to talk to me. "You did extreamly well, Naruto."

"Is Hirari okay?"

"You worked with someone else to get farther ahead, you protected her when she was hurt. You put your life in danger to save her. These are all great qualities that we look for in possible Hokage's."

"Is Hirari okay?"

"You will be in here for about two hours, we'll give you a meal, and then you will be given an intelligence exam."

"Why won't you tell me about Hirari?!" I practically yelled.

He was quiet, eyes narrowed at me. "Hirari Hatsune is in a stable condition and has been given a remedy for the poisen. She should be just fine for the exam in two hours. But it's a miracle she didn't die out there." He spat the last sentance, like he blamed me for her getting hurt. But after he left the room, I sat down, looked up at the clock, and waited.