The Dinner

Tara

The place was quite full and I doubted that we would find a table, but Nate seemed to be friendly with the waitress and soon we were provided with a table for two at the farthest corner of the restaurant.

"Does everyone here know you? You got us a table quite easily."

"Well I love me a good steak. I've ordered for you as well. Trust me it'll be great."

Nathan however seemed apprehensive about the fact that he ordered for me. But I just nodded and looked around.

"So what did you do without me in Denver? Did you get lost Tara?"

I laughed. It was easy when he was playing around.

"Not really. I am quite capable you know. I'll survive without you. "

"Why survive when you could live life to its fullest. "

"Did you read that line from some cheesy novel?"

He made an irritated face but at that moment our wine appeared.

"Nate, I don't want to drink anymore. Do you have coke?"

I asked the waitress. She looked at Nate, then said that she would bring me some.

"Sorry I should have asked you."

"Hey it's alright. You didn't know about my alcohol tolerance."

He smiled. And started sipping his wine.

I felt unsure about our situation.

"So what do you do Nate? Have you come here for vacation?"

I was always good at reading people. This ability had helped me survive in my business. To a normal person, Nate's smile would have been natural, but I could see the slight tightness of his smile and his eyes suddenly became guarded.

"From the city's hustle and bustle, one should take a break and come close to the nature. The air here is so clean and fresh. I come here to relax."

He never told me what he did.
He also didn't ask me about why I came. Interesting. We then discussed about places I've visited here and where I will be going next and ate our steaks. He offered to drive me around Denver and I refused politely.

The food was amazing and we talked alot. Nothing too deeply. Making formal conversations about food, cultures and yes politics as well.

We were standing outside the restaurant and I was booking a cab for my hotel when I felt him lean on me. I looked up to see him staring unfocused.

"Tara, I think I am drunk."

Why me! Now I'd have to take him to his cabin.

"Give me your keys."

He handed them to me obediently and we walked to his car with him leaning on me all the way. And he wasn't that light.