Something Wicked This Way Comes

Belladonna 28

Something Wicked This Way Comes

15 June 1994

The Wicked Witch had struck again. At least, that was the talk around the castle only this time they were praising Ana for it. The whole school had witnessed Ana play cleanly in the dirtiest match on record. And then a great deal of them saw her shake hands with the opposing team after losing, an action hitherto undreamt of. Finally, many of them had then witnessed her very public dumping with Graham Montague in more than one instance.

Her breakup with Graham didn't take the first time, for Graham that is. Ana didn't realize that half the school saw the first time, so she tried to be a little more discreet the second time around. By the third time, however, she didn't care who saw; she just wanted to it be done with.

"For the love of Merlin, Graham, we are not together anymore. There is you and there is me. There is no we. I was not upset that we lost, and my brain is not addled. In fact, the only senseless thing I've done recently is ever agreeing to go out with you in the first place. Now please, stop begging like some flea-ridden dog. You're embarrassing yourself."

There was applause when Ana walked out of the Great Hall.

Ana felt strange being liked by the student body. Really, the only ones who probably didn't like her were her own teammates. Still, the one person Ana wished would talk to her didn't. So Ana chalked their moment of banter up to pre-match jitters and nothing more.

Fortunately, Ana didn't have any time to contemplate Fred's renewed silence or how she might be the one to end their feud. Final exams were upon them and everyone was bunkered down with homework and revisions. The fifth and seventh years were beside themselves with worry. The first years walked around in a blind daze having no experience with the rigorous Hogwarts testing. And Ana did her best to balance her own study time with helping Adrian prepare for his Potions OWL.

Then, at last, nearly three weeks into June Ana was done. She could wash her hands of endless studying for seventy-four days. She was ready for a bit of rest, and she was ready to dive into her Wolfsbane research. She was going to work really hard to have the potion ready in July because she knew Sev wouldn't continue it during the summer.

Ana was in Professor Lupin's classroom one day after all his exams were given, helping him pack up his creatures for transport and clean their tanks.

"How did your exams go?" he asked.

"I feel pretty good about them. The only questionable one might be Transfiguration."

"Well, you did exceptional on your Defense exam, written and practical."

Ana beamed with pride. "Thanks."

"How's...how's the other assignment coming?"

"Really well I think."

"Oh?" Lupin was surprised.

"Yeah. I found a book in the library that has a detailed patent for it and I sent in an OWL order for the instructions. I'll have to go by Diagon Ally to get all the..."

Ana looked up from her tank and saw the confusion on Professor Lupin's face.

"You...you weren't talking about the potion, were you, Professor?"