Perspective

Belladonna 26

Perspective

Ana ran to her dungeon hideaway and practically barricaded the door behind her. She backed up to the furthest wall and sank to the floor where she buried her head in her hands. Her heart was beating wildly, the blood rushing in her ears.

This couldn't be right. There had to be some mistake. But Ana didn't make mistakes, not when it came to potions. She pulled out the now crumpled parchment and laid it on the floor before her. There it was, in black and beige. Sev was brewing Wolfsbane for Professor Lupin, a werewolf.

Ana's first instinct was to tell someone. But who should she tell that didn't already know? Dumbledore obviously knew; he hired the thing. Sev, too, knew because he brewed the potion each month. And Ana was certain the other Heads of House were in on it.

How could they go along with this?

Every wizarding child knew the tales of horror surrounding werewolves. They were outcasts in decent society. They were disgraced, despicable, and disgusting creatures that would attack their own kin without a second thought. They were not Ana's favorite teacher.

Werewolves were not kind, understanding, or sympathetic to her pain. They did not encourage her to cast aside the wicked. It wasn't in their nature; they were wicked and vile themselves. How could they be anything else? And what could Ana do about it?

Nothing. She could do nothing but avoid him at all costs. And she did. Or, well, she tried to at least.

6 April 1994

The bell rang shrilly, signaling the end of class. Ana quickly threw everything into her bag and attempted to flee before he could stop her. She failed.

"Ana, if you could stay, just a moment please," Professor Lupin asked.

Ana quickly grabbed Hestia's arm. "Stay with me," she whispered urgently.

Hestia pinched her brow in confusion but stayed none-the-less. Ana stood and positioned herself and Hestia so that the desks stood between her and Professor Lupin. He seemed a little surprised by her actions.

"I... I just wanted to inform you that I'll be taking delivery of another creature today that I rather think you'd enjoy seeing. If you wanted to come by around..."

"I can't!" Ana said quickly. "I...I'm busy today."

"Tomorrow then?"

"I have Quidditch tomorrow."

"Ah... I see. Well, I'll have it through the end of next week if you find some time."

"I don't think I will."

Professor Lupin smiled politely. "I understand. You're free to go then; I wouldn't want to keep you from your busy schedule."

Ana turned and nearly drug Hestia out of there. She stopped at the doorway, however, and looked over her shoulder for a moment. Professor Lupin's head was bowed, and the pain of her rejection was written all over his face. Ana felt even more confused than she was before.

"What was that all about?" Hestia asked.

"Nothing! It...it's nothing," Ana replied.