Potent Potions

Belladonna 19

Potent Potions

4 September 1993

Fred remained silent throughout the first week of school. It both angered and annoyed Ana. She'd lay in bed wondering what she did wrong and trying to convince herself that it didn't matter. It was his loss. But nothing worked.

Saturday was the first day in a month where she woke and he wasn't on her mind. Quidditch was. Marcus was once again hosting tryouts on the first Saturday, and Ana was eager to begin a new season. She entered the common room with her broom and gear in hand. Meanwhile, Adrian was there with a pile of books and notes, but no broom.

"Oi! Adrian, did you forget what day it is? We have to get to tryouts."

He looked up with a deep-set frown. "I can't this year. My parents won't let me."

"Can't? Won't? What do you mean by these...strange words? I do not know them," Ana teased as she sat next to him on the sofa. Adrian offered her a sad smile.

"It's OWL year," he offered as an explanation. "My marks aren't quite where my parents want them to be. They insist that I focus on classes this year; they expect nothing less than an E in every subject."

"That doesn't sound so bad."

"It's not. And in most of my classes, it's possible with a good bit of studying. Potions, however..." His voice trailed off and he grimaced.

"Potions? Is that it? Adrian, you forget who you're talking to!"

"Belladonna Evans?"

"And my father is...?"

"I thought he wasn't..."

"Oh, you know what I mean! Is that your potion's book there?" Ana asked as she picked up a book from the table.

"Yep. Uh-huh. I've done that one," she said as she flipped through the pages. "Ooo, that looks interesting. I did this one this summer. Ha! I did that one two summers ago!"

"What are you? Some kind of potions genius?"

"I prefer the term 'prodigy.' It sounds more prestigious."

Adrian laughed.

"But really, for all intents and purposes, my dad is the youngest Potions Master in recent history. And before I had friends to occupy my time, or when my friends abandon me for wickedly awesome summers, I brew potions. I think it's a shame they won't let you take your OWLs early, but I do plan on getting my NEWT in potions by the end of my sixth year. That way, during my seventh, I can focus on modifying and creating my own potions, making me the youngest Potions Master ever!"

"So... What I gather from all of that is...you're moderately good at potions?"

Ana stared blankly at him, and he grinned. "Care to share your knowledge with a poor chap like me?" he asked.

"With praise like yours... how can I say no?" Ana smiled.

"Great! With your help, maybe I'll manage a high A."

"No. With my help, you'll get an O."

"You overestimate my skills."