Unexpected Win

Belladonna 7

Unexpected Win

9 May 1992

"Evans takes the Quaffle again! Can anyone stop this girl? Please, someone stop her!" Jordan's voice rang through the speaker.

"And she scores! Slytherin now leads ninety to ten! But wait! Diggory has spotted the snitch! Higgs is flying after him! The beaters are closing in. Stop him! Stop him!"

"Jordan..." McGonagall warned.

"Oh no! Evans has taken advantage of the distraction; she's scored another ten points for Slytherin! Diggory's on the snitch again. He's a fingertip away! He's going to get it! Hufflepuff's going to... Oh Bludger!"

"Jordan!"

"Knocked him off his broom, Professor! Higgs has caught the snitch! Slytherin wins 250 to 10! It all comes down to the final match! Can Gryffindor beat Ravenclaw for the cup?!"

As Ana recalled the last few moments of the match that day, a reflection appeared behind her in the window.

"I wasn't sure if you would come...not after last time," Ana said.

Fred and Ana had continued to meet after each match in that same deserted classroom on the fourth floor. They'd sit and talk until curfew about the match, or world famous matches, or pranks if they so desired. Ana enjoyed every moment of it. But their last meeting had ended in a heated argument.

The match had been Gryffindor versus Hufflepuff, and for reasons unknown to them, Sev had decided to act as referee. When Fred pointed out Sev's obvious biasedness, Ana had jumped to his defense. Needless to say, it did not end well.

Fred shrugged a shoulder as he slowly moved into the room. It was evident that he wasn't too sure about being there either.

"He's your...family, or whatever. I can understand defending your family." He moved to the desk with the confidence more befitting of a Gryffindor. "If you had said some of the things about George that I had said about Snape, then I would have reacted in a similar fashion."

"I'm pretty sure I'd be hairless right about now, if that was the case," Ana said.

"Not hairless," Fred said quickly. "I...I might have turned it green or something..."

"Well, I wear green well."

"Yes, you do..."

"I..."

Silence. There was silence as the blood rushed to both of their cheeks and they quickly averted their eyes from one another.

"In...In all fairness," Ana said, breaking through the silence. "I must admit that Sev taking up refereeing is unusual. He doesn't like flying and he likes Quidditch even less, except when it wins him the House Cup. And his calls weren't....entirely justified. If McGonagall had decided to referee today's match, then I too would be highly suspect of her motives."

"Let's make an agreement that no matter what happens, we'll leave family out of it."

"Agreed," said Ana whole-heartedly.

"Now on to today's match," Fred said with a smile. "That was some brilliant flying you did. The way you evaded those bludgers, it was inspiring."