At Flourish and Blotts

Belladonna 8

At Flourish and Blotts

12 August 1992

"Ana? Where did you go?"

"Freddie, you've got to see this. Freddie?"

It was a random Wednesday in August, and Ana had met up with Sadie and her father to do their back to school shopping. They weren't they only ones who decided to do their shopping that day however; Diagon Alley was full of other families doing their shopping too. Over the summer, Ana had missed her secret talks with a certain Gryffindor, in an empty classroom on the fourth floor, more than she thought she would. So when she saw that very same Gryffindor at the bookshop, she thought surely fate had smiled on her that day. But sometimes, Fate has a funny way about her.

Ana and Fred had found each other in the towering stacks of Flourish and Blotts. Now they stood talking, rather animatedly, about the upcoming Quidditch season and marveling over the newly released Nimbus 2001. They had both seen it on display at Quality Quidditch Supplies and read about it in Which Broomstick. They were both eager to own one, but they both knew they never would. The Weasley's simply could not afford one, and Sev, though he could, would never buy one. Perhaps in a few years when it was ten models old and the price significantly reduced, then they might get the chance.

When Ana didn't answer her best friend, Sadie went looking for her. And when Fred didn't respond to his brother, George went looking for him. They met somewhere in the middle.

"Weasley."

"Baldock." They greeted each other with mild hostility.

"You're in my way," Sadie said in a bored tone.

"No. I think you're in my way," George replied, towering over her four-eleven frame.

Sadie scoffed. "I'm hardly intimidated by height. Have you seen my best friend? She's something of a giant."

"Mind you, a very pretty giant," Ana said as she came around a corner and joined the conversation.

"Meh... a semi-adequate one at least," Sadie teased. "What are you doing up here?"

"I..."

Sadie's eyes drifted over as Fred came around another corner and joined them.

"...was getting a book for one of my classes." Ana held up a copy of Unfogging the Future by Cassandra Vablatsky.

"I can't believe you signed up for divination."

"Well, I didn't want to bore myself with Arithmancy."

"I chose classes I thought would challenge me."

"And that is why you'll be selected for Prefect over Flora or Hestia."

"Not including yourself in that, Little Snake?" Fred asked.

Ana scoffed. "No. I know I won't get it; Sev wouldn't dare. Unlike some, I don't need to be told I'm great, to know I'm great. Sev's not really big on unsolicited praise."

"He's not big on solicited praise, either," Sadie murmured.

"True. Very true. I could brew an absolutely perfect potion, which I have...on numerous occasions, and he'd never tell me how good it was. If he's not constantly critiquing or calling your skills abysmal, then you know you're doing fairly well."

"Huh. Maybe that's why he never says anything about our potions, Georgie," Fred said, bumping his brother in the arm. George said nothing in response; neither did Sadie. Instead, they continued to glare at each other reproachfully.

"Wow—"

"—a couple of chatter boxes, aren't they?"

"My thoughts exactly, Little Snake," Fred and Ana said.

"You know, I..."

"Look! There he is, Ana!" Sadie exclaimed, interrupting Ana and pointing vigorously down at the ground floor. Gilderoy Lockhart, acclaimed author, had just stepped out onto a make shift stage. Sadie was something of an admiring fan of Lockhart's. Ana was resigning herself to hold judgement until she read his books. She had to admit though, his smile was rather charming. But as they stood, looking over the railing, Ana was acutely aware of Fred standing next to her, and she couldn't help but to notice that Lockhart's smile paled in comparison to Fred's.

Ana was busy admiring Fred's smile when Sadie said, "What's Potter doing down there?"

Ana quickly looked away from Fred and down at the stage below. Harry stood with Lockhart; Lockhart's arm was around Harry's shoulder, and they were posing for pictures together.

"Trying to steal someone else's glory, by the looks of it," Ana said.

"What are you talking about?" George asked, looking back at her.

"Exactly what I said," Ana shot back. "Potter's nothing more than a glory thief."

"Glory thief? Look at him! The poor bloke looks miserable down there."

"He looks filthy," Sadie said. "What happened to him? Did the Muggles not know how to bathe him?"

"Nah. It's just his first attempt at the floo," Fred replied.

"Of course it was," Ana said, rolling her eyes. "And I bet he managed that about as well as his first match."

"He won that match, in case you've forgotten," George said, turning on her in anger.

Fred quickly stepped between them. "Easy now; let's not fight, shall we?"

"But he didn't win you the season, now did he?" Ana said, ignoring Fred. "No! He was laid out in hospital because taking my Quidditch glory wasn't enough; he had to go and involve himself in some illicit affair all because he's Harry Potter. But I promise you this, he won't get one over on me again."

"Sadie! Ana! It's time to go girls," Mr. Baldock called up to them.

"We'll be right there, Dad. Come on, Ana." Sadie pulled on Ana's arm lightly and they both began to leave.

Fred watched her take a few steps before calling out to her. "Little Snake..."

And looked back at him, but he didn't say anything more. He didn't need to. Ana gave a faint smile and a slight nod; Fred relaxed. He knew she wasn't mad at him, and he wasn't mad at her. Ana turned back to Sadie and they carried on their way.

"Ana, please," Sadie began in a whisper. "Please, be careful."

"Why?"

"He's a Gryffindor, Ana."

"Why do you keep telling me that?"

"Because, sometimes I wonder if you really know what that means."

XXX

Fred watched Ana leave before turning back to his brother. George was looking at him with a face full of concern and confusion.

"I don't know how you stand it, Freddie."

"Stand what?"

"Being friends with the likes of her."

"We're not..." Fred tried protesting, but he knew it was pointless. "She's really not all that bad, once you get to know her. You might even find her likable, Georgie."

"Just...be careful with her, Freddie."

"Be careful of what?"

George looked at his brother, wondering, not for the first time, if he needed to be reminded of what Slytherins really were.

"She's a snake, Freddie. Remember that."

Fred sighed deeply. "I know, Georgie. I know."