Chapter 6

That evening when Dipper returned he and the others decided to celebrate his freedom. Timmy prepared a fantastic meal and Kick brought an expensive and fine wine to drink. Frida ate but she didn't drink, she had never had alcohol before and wasn't sure if she could handle it. As the dinner went on she found herself wondering off by herself to ponder everything that had happened. It was all so exciting. She never thought that she would find herself in something like this. Living with four men while getting involved in conspiracies and the army. Not to mention finding out that she had a brother. A pyschopathic one. She wondered why her father had never mentioned Zim to her not that he had ever really told her about anything but still she hoped that he would at least tell her that she had a brother. She knew that she didn't have a mother but it never crossed her mind that she could have any other type of relative. Frankly she would've preferred finding out that she had a mother instead of crazy brother.

She remembered growing up how she would watch kids with their mothers from her window and how she would often wonder if she had a mother like other children. When she asked her father if she had one he told her that she wasn't born like other children so she didn't have a mother. Since she didn't have one she decided to play make up a mommy. It was a game she had invented, where she would pretend that she had a mother and imagined reasons for why she wasn't in her life. She would imagine that her mother was a beautiful woman who liked to sing and worked as a traveling singer to make money for them since she was so poor but her mother loved her very much and missed her so she would send her letters telling her how much she missed her. Frida would write letters to her pretend mommy and sometimes she would sing songs to herself and pretend that it was her mother singing to her. Sometimes she would imagine her mother so well that for brief moments she would convince herself that she was real. One instance was when she would close her eyes and try to imagine what her mom would look like, then she would see a woman's face smiling back at her and saying "I love you my little Frida." At first she was so sure that it wasn't her imagination that it was a memory but she soon accepted that it was nothing more than a childish fantasy.

"The other night dear, as I lay sleeping.

I dreamt I held you in my arms

And now that you're here, my dreams are waking

And I'll keep you from all harm."

"Nice song." Manny said after hearing her. "Where did you hear it?"

"I don't know, I've just known it for as long as I can remember."

"It's pretty."

"What was your mother like?"

"Huh?"

"Sorry it's just that...I never had a mother and I've always wondered what it would be like to have one."

"Oh..." He said. "Well um....She was very beautiful and she loved me and my father very much. I remembered how when I was I little I used to have bad dreams so she and my father would let me sleep in bed with them and they'd tell me stories to make me feel better. I don't really have any pictures or momentos of her or my father. Everything was lost in the fire that destroyed my home...Well no I do have one thing."

She followed him into his bedroom and watched as he pulled out a bundle of cloth from under his bed. He un tied the string that held it together and unwrapped it. Inside was a sliver ring with a forget me not jewel in the middle.

"It was my mother's ring, after our house burned down I went back to see if anything had survived. I dug through all the ashes and soot that I could find hoping to find at least one picture but all I found was more ash and soot. And just when I thought that I had lost all memorabilia of my family I found this twinkling underneath some bricks. I've had it with me ever since."