Chapter 6

(Edited)

Chapter 6 - KMCF

"Hunter?" I questioned as my cheeks were pressed against the damp spots on Hunter's shirt. I released my embrace, a hint for him to do the same.

Hunter didn't move at all, but he did speak, speak so deep and low that I could barely hear him. "Can we stay like this for just a bit longer?" he asked hugging me tightly. I placed my hands back in his back and held onto his shirt once again. With only the inhales and exhales of our bodies to show that we were still alive as we stood out in the hot summer's night.

I didn't think that when our bodies peeled away it'd make me unhappy. He cupped my face. "I'll explain soon. Okay?"

"Explain?" My eyes searched his handsome, troubled face.

Hunter held up the shopping bag that incased his clothes "I should leave, it's getting late." He then tugged the collar of the store owned shirt he wore, "I'll return these to you tomorrow, so then I'll have another excuse to see you." He forced a smile. It was clear he was ignoring my question, so I thought that I shouldn't dig too much into it. I was just happy that he was here.

Idiot.

"Okay," I waved him goodbye and watched him walk farther away from my condo.

** **

I stared at my reflection for so long, catching every detail on my red halter sundress. "I didn't think it'd look this good on me, maybe I underestimated Grace." I posed in all sorts of ways, trying to look at the dress in every angle. The short dress gave off a complementary look on my olive skin tone and wild, wavy, long, brown hair. "Ozzy, what do you think?"

He only stared for a few seconds before rolling over carelessly. Today was the first wedding rehearsal and Grace had ordered all of the bridesmaids to wear the red dresses she bought. I twirled in it for my lazy cat, judging Ozzy's response like it was a reply. In the midst of turning my phone rang, right away I assumed it was either Grace, who probably wanted to complain about something stupid, or my mother who was calling to inform me about Hunter.

But this time both of my predictions were wrong. It was an unknown number. Cautiously, I answered it. "Hello?"

"Hey." Spoke the familiar voice. In an instant I knew exactly who was calling me.

"How'd you get my number, Hunter?"

"Your friends gave it to me, they insisted I have it." I could picture him smiling and I could also picture Miranda and Natalie smiling.

"What's wrong? Why are you calling?" I said sarcastically and at the same time, I configured a way to put on my wedges with only one hand. It seemed like he was back to his normal self, as if he forgot what had happened yesterday. I definitely didn't want to bring up last night, we both showed a part of ourselves we probably didn't want the other to see.

"I wanted to hear your voice and to me right now, it's the only thing keeping me at ease. So, keep talking Jen, even if it's a different way of turning me on." Right then and there, my heart beat was above average. My hand lost its ability to feel, it was most likely why I dropped my phone. I quickly picked up my phone. "Just now, did you just drop your phone?" He said as he began to chuckle.

"Shut up." abashed by his accurate guess. "Why are you really calling?" I grabbed my car keys and headed towards the front door. After I waved goodbye to Ozzy, I pulled open my front door and spotted Hunter in front of my condo, leaning against a luxury name brand car. He wore a short sleeve white T-shirt with long khaki pants and dark boots.

"To pick you up," He artfully smiled.

"No need," I said as we stood face to face, still talking on the phone. "I can drive there myself." Of course I disagreed to getting in the same car as him. The things we did when we were together was what I was worried about. His smiles, his eyes, his teasing. They all created a vulnerable atmosphere.

We stood across from each other in silence, with my arms crossed and his grin getting even more devious. "You lost, Jen, remember?"

"No, I don't remember." I hung up and stared at his deep emerald eyes.

He started to appear closer and closer. "Would you like me to refresh your memory?" My brain told me to move, but my legs refused to. I wasn't sure if it was curiosity that paused me or his looks. Each step Hunter took exposed a new heartbeat speed. He pulled me close, hooked his arm around my waist, and with his other hand, he lifted up my chin.

"No," I said, averting his seductive gaze. "I'd like for you to let me out of this hide-and-go-seek deal."

"In order for you to forfeit, you have to kiss me." There it was, the sexy smile, his secret weapon. I wondered how many times he used that smile on other women.

"Not gonna happen," I muttered.

"Then, I guess our deal will go on forever."

I scoffed. "And what if I don't do what you say? Are you going to force me?" I grinned.

He chuckled. "Not exactly. I'll tell everyone about the time when you were twelve and we went to the -"

I became red faced. "You wouldn't dare." What Hunter was going to say was the most embarrassing moment of my life. A moment that words cannot even describe how terrible it was.

"Try me." His mouth turned up devilishly. Those two words gave me the strength I needed to push him away.

I walked towards his car, luckily it was open and quietly sat in the passenger seat. "We'll be late if we don't leave now," I mumbled.

** **