Chapter 28

Chapter 28 - KMCF

"It's beautiful, Miranda!" I shouted in glee.

"Do you really mean it or are you just trying to make me feel good?" She had suspicion written on her visage, along with a tiny grin.

I woke up this morning without giving the slightest idea of what was to come. I had my mind on something else and didn't even bother to remember what had been in store for me.

"What are you talking about? If I didn't like it, do you really think they'd still be up?" I set my purse down, so I could freely examine not only the exhibition, but the rest of the Marcos themed decorations.

The presentation was nothing like I had imagined. It wasn't just a mannequin wearing an outfit with a sign beside it. The design was of a runway accompanied by at least four plastic models who took turns in showing off their attires. Each rotated and every single item they wore were racked next to them.

The front of the store was a different story. The collection made its way into posters, some with thin models bring the clothes to life and others with Marcos behind his own signature and the line's title.

"Don't tell me you worked overnight just to do this?" I said immediately after considering how much work was put into everything.

She nodded happily, like it was a daily routine. "It was all worth it though."

"I could've helped, you know?" I frowned.

"I know, you've been having a tough week, so I wanted to at least spark a bit of happiness." She paused and then went on, "I try my best to help you out with Hunter and I know the things I say aren't things you want to hear, so I wanted this to prove that I just want you to be happy."

Instantly after Miranda finished talking, I went ahead and gave her a hug. "Thank you," my voice cracked a bit from attempting to hold in my tears. She really was my best friend. Seconds after she hugged me back, we pulled away from our embrace.

"Since you two are done, can we open the doors now?" Rocxy voiced. She seemed eager to work, but from past experiences with the teen, we only saw money signs playing as her eyes.

Miranda and I turned around to see the full crowd outside, they had gotten much bigger than when I arrived. "The store opens in three minutes, I think they can wait a little longer." Miranda said.

Rocxy rolled her eyes the same time she sucked her teeth. "Then we have enough time to talk about the employee discount."

Miranda furrowed her eyebrows and shrugged. "What discount? Do you know what she's talking about, Jen?"

I couldn't help, but form a small smile from the act Miranda was putting on. "No, not at all."

Rocxy gave off a nervous chuckle, "you're kidding, right?"

"Oh!" Miranda lightly tapped her head. "How could I forget? You mean the discount that applies to employees who actually DO something?"

"Yes, exactly. So, how much do I get off?" An eager smile, stretching from ear to ear showed up on Rocxy's lips.

Miranda deeply sighed and immediately I started laughing. "Okay, that's enough. We open right now and as unexpected as it seems, Rocxy, you'll get the employee discount."

"This is like giving a stranger a hundred dollars," Miranda muttered to herself.

** **

In just a few minutes, every item on the racks were leaving the store in great amounts. They weren't just teens or college girls, but some highly regarded people we met at the after party. Every one of them contributed in creating a tsunami.

Rocxy and I helped out behind the counter while Miranda went around trying to restore the diminishing clothes. We had to take into account that not everyone was here for the new collection, but even doing so, it didn't make much of a difference.

My legs were killing me and my back was slowly eating me away. In the past, I handled so many sales and frantic days, but this was the most hectic of all. There were complainers, yellers, and worst of all those who carelessly messed things up; We've had them before, though it felt like there were twice as much.

"Hey, Jennifer," Allison's blissful smile shined a path of relief. Allison was a teen about Rocxy's age, who would arrive just to start up a conversation and/or buy a few things once or twice a week.

"Allison, hi," slowly, I could feel my energy restoring.

"It's so crowded today. I mean, it's packed all the time, but today it's fully packed." She placed a few items on the counter and I took them without a complaint.

"Well, we're selling Marcos Martinez's line." I began to scan each accessory into the system.

"I heard," her eyes roamed the area where most of our customers were. "His collection looks amazing, but my wallet says otherwise. New lines cost as much as two gold bars nowadays."

Allison wasn't lying, the price of the clothes were all over eighty dollars. From an average person's perspective, I wouldn't buy it even if it was a decade long trend.

"Oh, yeah! Jennifer, did I tell you what happened with me and my boyfriend?" She squealed, only loud enough for a few people around her to hear.

"No, what happened?" Her smile was much brighter than when she greeted me and I assumed something good must've occurred.

"We fought, BUT it helped us open our eyes. He took into account the effort I put in to have him notice me and I considered the fact that I can't separate best friends. So, we worked out a compromise and it's helping." Allison let out a deep breath as half a smile appeared.

"I'm happy for you," I swiped her card and soon gave it back to her. "You can't refund the dress though."

She washed my joke away with a simper, "wouldn't dream of it."
She took the shopping bags I gave her and turned to walk out. "Bye, Jennifer."

I received enough power to continue the day, and it was all thanks to Allison. The day didn't go by fast, but it was manageable towards the end. All the items were starting to become sold out and we weren't getting opportunities to restock. When people began noticing that, there were fewer customers roaming the store.

We let Rocxy leave early, only because she was literally falling asleep while she was standing. Though she left sooner than usual, but we stayed late. I didn't get to leave Anders until half past ten. I was on my way home, desperate to get to my bed.

My needy calls for sleep had abruptly been interrupted from a frantic call from Grace, begging for me to come over.

** **