6.1

july 16th, 12:55 am

[sam]

"Well hello, Sam."

She felt her heart rate increase as she was faced with Jack for the first time in what felt like a lifetime.

"What are you doing here?" Sam asked hesitantly, stepping back from him.

"Came to pay my little brother a visit for his eighteenth birthday." Jack replied smugly, pulling Luke into his side and ruffling his hair.

"Get off of me." Luke grumbled, pushing himself away from Jack and stepping over to comfort Sam.

"Aw look at you two. How sweet." Jack said, envy lacing his tone.

Luke glanced at Sam quickly before grabbing her hand and squeezing it tightly.

Jack chuckled as he noticed their hands intertwine, "What's so funny?" Sam snapped.

"Oh, I just think it's funny that if it wasn't for me, you two would never be together." He replied, that sick smirk still pulling at his lips.

"What?" Sam asked, laughing softly as she shook her head in disbelief.

"Jack, don't do this." Luke shook his head, his face paling.

"What's he talking about Luke?" She asked, her head turning towards him, her eyes full of confusion.

"Shit, you haven't told her? Oh this is great. Didn't think I was in for this much of a treat tonight." Jack smirked, rubbing his palms together in excitement.

"Told me what?" Sam continued to ask Luke, desperately waiting for some sort of answer.

"If it wasn't for me asking Luke to keep tabs on you, he would have never even spoken to you." Jack said simply.

Sam felt her heart sink, "Keep tabs on me?"

Luke stayed silent. He dreaded this would ever come out. He knew he could try to deny it, but he couldn't keep lying to her. She deserved to know the truth.

"When you and I broke up, I was devastated. I didn't go to your school, or even live in the area anymore, but I still wanted to know what you were doing. I asked Luke if he would keep an eye on you." Jack began to explain, "I then asked him to take pictures of you, without you knowing. I just wanted to see what you looked like still, since I was blocked on your social media's."

Sam gasped, looking at Luke with complete and utter confusion.

"I told Luke to get close to you, so I could know the most about you. Little did I know this fuck head would develop actual feelings for you." Jack rolled his eyes in disgust.

"This isn't true. You're just trying to mind fuck me Jack. I know your games." She spat, not wanting to believe what she was being told.

"You think Luke actually liked you at first? All those times he tried to kiss or touch you? The flirty gestures he made? All fake. I don't know when they started to become real though, I think that's something recent."

"Luke, is this true?" Sam whispered, looking up at Luke who was avoiding her eyes.

"Sam, let me explain." Luke said, his voice soft, his eyes filled with sadness.

"How long were you faking it?" She asked.

"Honestly?" He asked, rubbing the back of his neck.

"No, lie to me." She rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I think it took about two months for me to catch real feelings, but once I did, I fell so hard and fast."

"So you faked liking me for two months? Everything we ever did was fake?" She asked, in complete disbelief.

"No! That's not true-"

"Yes it is, Luke, you just told me that you didn't even really like me for half the time I've known you." Sam shook her head at him, "And you stalked me? Took pictures of me without knowing?"

He gulped, "Yes."

"For how long?" She asked. He avoided her stare and stayed silent.

"How long!?" Sam raised her voice, making him flinch at the increase of volume.

"A month." He said, still not looking at her.

"Before or after we met?"

"Before. When we met that night on the bus, it was one of the last times I took pictures of you. It felt weird once I knew you in person." Luke replied, truthfully.

"But you didn't find it weird to report back to your brother things about me for two months and faked your feelings for me?" Sam snapped.

"I only told Jack stuff about you for a month after meeting you. Once I got to know you, it was hard to keep doing it. I lied to myself for so long about really liking you, I felt like it was wrong considering the reason we met. But I know that my feeling for you are real. I know you feel it too, Sam." Luke told her, now looking in her eyes, searching for a reaction.

"I can't believe this." She shakily breathed out. She couldn't believe this was happening to her. Sam felt she needed to get out of here. She couldn't stand being in the same room as Jack and Luke for any longer.

"Sam, don't leave please." He begged desperately, grabbing her wrist.

She pulled her wrist back sharply and shook her head at him. "You lied to me. I need time to think, Luke."

"I'm not lying to you now, Sam, please listen to me." He said softly.

"No, Luke you don't understand." She sighed, shaking her head at him and turning away.

"No! You don't understand!" Luke yelled as she started to walk away.

She stopped in her tracks and spun around, an angry expression on her face.

"Oh really?" She laughed bitterly.

"You don't get it." He repeated himself.

"What don't I get Luke?! I don't have time for this." She scoffed and began to walk away again.

"That's what you don't fucking get! I made a mistake, I fucked up the beginning of our relationship and I'll always regret that. But, my feelings now are as real as ever, but you can't seem to see that. I like you so much, it literally keeps me up at night. I've never liked someone like this before, I don't know how to deal with these feelings. You drive me crazy Samantha Maxwell, I love you God damnit!"
-
this has been a long time coming in the plot. it's about to get interesting from here.

backseat is nearing the end, there should be about 7-8 more chapters left of the book.

- jess