••• Chapter 8 •••

December 25th is the one day of the year that you always look forward to as kid. It's also the day that I still continue to look forward to. It's the one day where people are happy.

I don't know what it is about Christmas, but the people around me always seem to be in a better mood.

Christmas morning is also the only day of the year that I will willingly wake up early. The smell of my mom's Christmas breakfast in the kitchen is irresistible.

I remember when I was little. Every Christmas, I would wake up at 6:00 in the morning. I would run to my brother, Caleb's, room, and jump on his bed. I would wake up my parents and listen to them scold me with a laugh.

Another thing that makes Christmas so great is that I can stay in my pajamas, and nobody cares.

Today is finally that day I have been waiting for all year. Although, something tells me that this Christmas will be the best one yet, and I don't know why.

I walk down the stairs in my fuzzy, Christmas pajama pants, the bells on my reindeer slippers jingling. My hair's in a messy bun, and I'm wearing a white sweater. The smile on my face as big as it was when I woke up.

My mom and dad are in the kitchen, and there's fresh coffee in the machine. My mom's cooking her famous breakfast, and my dad's reading the newspaper.

I walk to the coffee machine, and fill up my Christmas mug.

"Merry Christmas, mom," I say, and give her a kiss on the cheek. "Merry Christmas, dad."

"Merry Christmas, pumpkin," my dad replies, using the nickname he gave me in elementary school.

"Merry Christmas, Beatrice," my mom says with a smile.

The sound of feet hurrying down the stairs makes me turn my head. Caleb appears at the bottom, looking like he was up all night.

"Merry Christmas, Caleb," I tell him with a smirk. "Sleep well?"

"Shut up," he grumbles and pours himself a cup of coffee. Then he smiles with a sigh. "Merry Christmas."

My parents say it back, and Caleb slumps down in a chair. He perks up suddenly and asks, "What are you making mom? It smells amazing."

She laughs and replies, "Well, I'm making pancakes, but you're probably smelling the gingerbread cookies in the oven."

"Cookies?" he ask with wide eyes causing a laugh to escape my lips. He's seventeen years old, but when it comes to cookies, you would think he was a eight year old who's allowed to have his first sleepover.

"You are never gonna get a girlfriend," I tell him with a chuckle. Don't get me wrong, I love cookies, but he likes them a little too much. "You're such a child."

He rolls his eyes, but I don't miss the small smile that forms on his lips. Like I said, everyone's in a better mood on Christmas.

My phone vibrates in my pocket. Yes, my Christmas pajamas have pockets. I pull out my phone, and smile when I see who's calling.

"Hey," I say when I press the 'answer' button.

"Hey, babe." I can hear his deep voice through the phone, and I love the way it sounds. "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas." I look at the clock hanging on the wall and say, "You're up early."

It's 8:00 in the morning, meaning that in California it's 6:00.

He chuckles. "I just woke up. It's Christmas. I want presents."

"Of course you do." I roll my eyes, but I laugh.

"Hey, Tris?"

I hum in response.

"I've gotta go. My family just got to my house," he says. "I'll talk to you later."

I nod even though he can't see me. "Bye, Tobias."

"Bye," he says, and he hangs up.

I look at my wrist and the marbled white bracelet on it. I stare at the one black bead, and I smile. It's weird, but I feel connected to him with the bracelet for some reason.

That's when I realize that I forgot to thank Tobias.

I log into Snapchat and lay my hand on my wooden floor, taking a picture of my wrist with the bracelet. I type, 'Thanks for the present btw. I love it.'

I click send, and he doesn't reply. He's busy though, so I understand.

»»»

"Tris," Caleb says. "It's your turn to open your present from me. Hurry up."

I laugh and slowly remove paper from the badly wrapped present. My family is all sitting in a circle on the floor in front of the Christmas tree.

"Caleb!" I scream happily when I see the diamond earrings inside the now open box. "They're beautiful. Thank you!"

I wrap my arms around my brother, and he hugs me back. Yes, we fight sometimes, but we still love each other.

»»»

I'm sitting on my bed after my family goes home, my earbuds playing All I Want for Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey into my ears when I get a Snapchat notification.

I smile and pause my music when I see who it's from. I go into Snapchat and click on my boyfriend's name.

It's a picture similar to what I sent, but it's his bracelet instead of mine. Black with one white marbled bead in the center.

It says, 'No problem! It was partially a gift for myself too anyway. Lol.'

I laugh and read the rest of what he typed. 'Can you FaceTime? I need to tell you something, and it's really important. I can't wait much longer.'

I reply with, 'Of course. Call whenever,' attached to a very unattractive picture of me. That's another thing I love about him. We can send each the worst pictures, and neither of has to worry if we're being judged.

I'm interrupted from my own thoughts by a FaceTime notification. I take a deep breath and answer, wondering on he needs to tell me.

A/N: Is this considered a cliffhanger? Lol. Anyways, here's what the Snapchats between the two look like if you wanted to know. (Pretend the black bracelet is on a guy's wrist. 😂)

 😂)