This seemed to take her by such surprise that she gawked, but then the strangest thing happened: she started to grin, and I don't mean playfully, I mean it was downright evil.

"Ohoho," she chuckled, wiggling her eyebrows when my face started burning in horror, "that might be a problem if you're actually into Bash. He'll never submit himself to anyone like that."

I rubbed my face and let out a disheveled sigh.

"Listen," I muttered, finally meeting her eyes, "everything going on between Sebastian and me is already so complicated and disturbing that I'm having trouble working my way through it, so the last thing I need is for you or anyone else to start acting like the two of us banging each other would be a normal thing to do, especially in light of everything that's already happened."

The smile faded a bit as she said, "but Sebastian is--"

"Hot as fuck, chiseled from head to toe, and hung like a horse," I finished, averting my eyes when she grinned yet again, "but he also took me from my home by force, physically assaulted me in ways that I've never experienced before and never want to experience again, many times, and up until recently he was mostly hostile, brutish, and cruel."

"But that's---"

"Getting into a relationship with him of any sort, be it sexual or deeper, right after going through all of that trauma wouldn't just be unhealthy, Tiffany," I again interrupted, glaring her down, "it would be downright stupid!"

"No it wouldn't!" she argued. "Bash isn't a bad guy, Aerin! Yes, he's a grump, and yes, he's terrifying when he thinks someone is a danger, but he's not evil! He's not the big bad wolf, and you're not little red riding hood, so chill out already! He apologized! And he never apologizes!"

"So?" I flatly countered, unfazed by how she gawped at me in disbelief. "Sorry can't take back broken bones or the memories of being hurt. Plus, he and I are still just strangers to each other, and I've never been the sort of guy to fuck random people without knowing them."

"But Aerin---" 

"NO!" I snarled, stomping my foot and glaring at her through a sudden film of red. "The only reason I'm still here right now is because of the circumstances!"

"Circumstances?" Tiffany asked, eyes widening. "What circumstance?"

"You, me, this, all of it!" I snapped. "We're not human beings anymore, Tiffany! Believe me, I never would have agreed to give him a chance if we were! Ever! But we aren't! He's a werewolf, I'm a vampire, and his hostility was understandable because I get what I'm like! I hated myself just as much as he hated me long before he even knew I was around! All of this right now is pure circumstance! And you know what? I might give him a chance! He knows what's it like to have eternity stretching on ahead of you, endlessly, with nothing to look forward to, ever, and despite all the awful shit he did to me, he's one of the few people in this whole damn world who might just be able to understand me as a person, but in the here and now, it's still confusing, it's still insane, and I'm not okay with it! Do you have a problem with that or something?!"

By the time I finished ranting she seemed desperate for escape, pretty eyes darting left and right as she pressed herself tight up against the wall. "I... I was just hoping that Bash finally found someone he was into since he's normally closed off! And Leo said--"

"Said what?" I snarled. "What did he say to you?"

"He said 'They've been kissing each other like crazy, and that's all I'm saying', and I just let it go after that!" she stammered, not looking at me.