Chapter 2

Hey, guys! Hope you enjoy this! Happy reading!

Jack stood at the entrance of the door of the throne room of King North, waiting for permission from the royal guards to let him pass. While standing by, he recounted earlier that day.

"What?" Elsa said, getting up and reading the letter herself. She looked up at Jack. "Why would he need to see you so urgently?"

"Maybe he has a quest for me now," Jack shrugged, though inside he was a mushball of emotions. Surprise, exhilaration, confusion, and trepidation on what he could possibly want were just a few of the sentiments he could name at the top of his head. 

"But this doesn't sound like King North at all," Elsa said, rereading the letter. "It sounds so...distressed and panicked."

"Oh, come on, Els," Jack said. "It's a letter. It's not like it's actually speaking to you in King North's voice."

"Don't tell me that you're not the tiniest bit worried about this," Elsa said, tapping the paper.

Jack sighed. "You're right. I am worried. We get no word from him in months and all of a sudden he needs one of us so urgently?"

Elsa realized how perturbed her boyfriend was and smiled apologetically at him. "Hey, things are going to be okay," she said, coming over to him and cupping his face. "It might not be as bad as we think. Just go to the castle right now and see what's the big fuss."

Jack looked at her. "All right," he said, smiling. "Thanks, Elsa."

"And besides," she said. "It can't be all that big of a deal."

"I hope you're right, Elsa," he sighed. "I hope you're right...."

"Sir Jack Frost?"

Jack shook himself out his thoughts and noticed that a guard was speaking to him. "Yes, sir?"

"The king is ready to see you," the guard said.

Jack nodded and followed the guard into the throne room.

Upon entering the throne room, Jack could feel himself getting nervous. He was sweating like the harsh afternoon sun was beating down on him and his hands were getting clammy. When the guard brought him to stand directly in front of King North, who was sitting in his throne, Jack could feel himself getting woozy.

Stop it, Jack, he scolded himself. You're acting like a stable boy right now. You're a freaking knight! You shouldn't be this nervous over a summoning from the king.

Yeah, but it's the king, a tiny voice whispered in his mind. You don't know what he could be calling you for.

"Ah, Jack!" King North's booming voice almost made him jump. "So nice to see you again! It's been too long!"

"Yes, Your Majesty, it has," Jack said, bowing.

King North waved his hand. "No, no, no. Formal introductions are not needed. I've seen too much bowing and curtsying today that I think my eyes hurt." he widened his big, blue eyes and shook his head. "Not today, my boy."

Jack grinned. "Yes, Your Majesty."

"King North would do just fine, Jack," he said.

"Sorry, Your - King North," Jack said.

"Good, good. Very good," King North said, nodding. "Now, about why I called for you in such short notice." He took on a more composed and somber look. "The Guardia kingdom is in grave danger, Jack."