[43]

"So

"So..." Colter cleared his throat and Talia huffed, bringing her face from her knees and lightly slamming her head against the tile wall behind her. She ignored the pain...well she could ignore the physical pain, but the internal pain was beginning to eat at her brain, eroding her soul, and erasing her conscience.

"What?" She whined. Now she was in a different position than before. She didn't feel nearly as confident and having Colter peer over at her with what seemed to be skeptical, judgmental eyes was making her sweat even more than his incessant questions.

"You said you couldn't kill Jen because you were too angry...she had done too much to you to have such an easy escape." Colter glanced to the left to watch the glass door that was now clear. There were no dark figures on the other side. He wondered where they'd gone.

"Why couldn't you kill me?"

Because they like order. She wanted to reply, but she knew it was more than that.

Crossing her legs to block his view of her lacy underwear, which she was mortified to be wearing, she crossed her arms over her chest also to thwart his view of her breasts as well. She laughed, a sheepish giggle. It wasn't really because anything was funny, but more of how stupid his question was. Was he serious? Why couldn't she kill him?

"Why are you laughing?" He asked. "You think this is all funny?"

Immediately, her giggles stopped. Her small smile was soon capped with a tight lipped frown and her glossy eyes moved between Colter and the tile floor. She didn't mean to be laughing in such a serious situation and she hoped he didn't hate her for it.

She couldn't have him hating her as well.

"I'm laughing because of how oblivious you are"

"Oblivious?"

Silence moved through the air like it had its own frequency. The silence was its own characteristic patterns as it traveled through the distance between them. When their ears became more accustomed to the absence of voice, Talia began to focus on the steady stream of the water pounding against the ground.

"Cal told me not to like you..." She stopped speaking momentarily to close her eyes tight until her eyebrows furrowed deeply. She couldn't believe she was saying this, another thing she promised she wouldn't speak aloud to anyone. She took a deep breath before speaking. "He told me not to fall for you but I...I couldn't help it."

A single tear slipped from her glistening eye, leaving another salty stream like the many before itself, ones that had previously dried despite the water that sprinkled her face.

"I was young and naïve...a-and so unbelievably stupid for doing such a thing." She sniffled then, leading to what felt like another crack to Colter's heart. He wanted to reach out and pull Talia into his grasp like he had done so many times before.