[20]

Talia Fox

Talia Fox

My eyes flew open as I sat up breathing rather heavy. Neither the feeling in my head nor stomach were there and I happily sighed as I took in my surroundings. The king sized bed seemed small compared to the large room. The walls were painted a light grey and I grew confused as to where I was.

Any chagrin was quickly erased as I caught the dozens of pairs of sneakers lined against the wall. Along with the large walk-in closet filled with multiple tanks and tees and what looked like hundreds of skinny jeans.

Falling back into the sheets, I couldn't stop the large grin from consuming my face. The sheets smelled just like him— a mix of both musky vanilla and mint. Curling into a ball, I waited for his smell to simply swallow me up whole as I needed nothing else but more sleep.

Suddenly the words Colter muttered towards me before I passed out came rushing back and I sat up in panic. Ripping the blue satin sheets from my body, I cussed when my foot got caught along the sheets and I exited the bed with a loud thump to the floor.

Pausing for a few seconds, I listened for the sound of another's footsteps or the muting of a tv. When I heard nothing, I scrambled to my feet, searching for my heels which had been aligned with the pairs of Colter's shoes. Grabbing them, I thought it best to leave them off if I wanted to escape this house without making a sound.

Slipping easily out of the open door, I turned left only remembering a few of the turns. Left, then right, then another left and all that seemed existent was another hallway. Turning to the walls, I spotted the picture of Colt and his mother. It was the one I'd stopped and asked him about on our way up— he had the goofiest smile on his face and a buzz cut.

Both him and Pattie had blonde hair after Colter had explained they purchased some cheap bottle of hair dye one day. I laughed at the comment where he mentioned regretting it deeply.

Snapping back to reality and the urgency needed to leave, I gripped my heels to dangle on my pointer and middle finger, turning left which successfully lead me to the grand staircase. I practically smiled with glee when I realized the steps were marble, meaning they wouldn't creek.

I quietly slid down the first few steps before I came to a stop when I spotted a shadow near the kitchen door. I mentally laughed at my sad attempt to go unnoticed as I squeezed my eyes shut and brought my heels to my chest.

Slowly peeking one eye open, Pattie had just emerged from the kitchen, carrying a steaming cup of what smelt like tea. "I almost didn't see you there," she jibbed happily, shoving a thumb over her shoulder. "Do you want me to grab you a cup of tea so you can join us in the living area?"

Quickly shaking my head no, I hurried down the rest of the steps and across the gigantic foyer, closing the distance between the two of us. The closer I was, the less Pattie would have to yell across the room. And the less she had to yell, the less chance I had crossing paths with Colter.